Fork rebuild

Chat for Falco Owners.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Tipper2
Despatch Rider

Fork rebuild

#1 Post by Tipper2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:22 pm

In the next week I'm finally going to strip my forks, fit the Race-Tech gold valves that have been sitting in the garage for two years and some progressive springs.

Unless something else comes up like it has every other time.

Fingers crossed 🙄

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Re: Fork rebuild

#2 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:57 pm

Good luck! I fitted RT Gold compression valves and they made a big improvement to front end feel and operation. Do you have both compression and rebound valves or just compression? The difference in porting between standard Showa and the RT Gold valves is very noticeable.

I take it you've got a tool to compress the fork spring so you can get at the nut that needs to be unscrewed to remove the fork cap? When stripping the cartridge unit, be careful to clean up the part on the screw where it's been staked before undoing the nut. It's fiddly but needs doing to avoid damage. Once you've undone the nut I tend to get a thin cable tie and insert that through the centre of all the cartridge components as you withdraw the screw/bolt and then tie it off. That way all the components are kept in the correct order and orientation.

Tipper2
Despatch Rider

#3 Post by Tipper2 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:15 pm

Thanks but it's no bother, I've done a lot of forks over the years.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:14 am

No probs - didn't know your skill level.

Tipper2
Despatch Rider

#5 Post by Tipper2 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:39 am

I liked the write-up you did with your LC forks, I'm thinking about doing the same.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:40 pm

I can recommend it. I was impressed when I rode the bike for the first time - suspension felt responsive and a lot better than I remembered it. I also fitted a replacement YSS shock and once that had 'run in' for a hundred miles or so felt similarly good. It will never be Ohlins standard, but feels a lot more 'modern'.