Covid19 you and your job

All non-motorcycle related chat in here

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

fatboy
World Champion

Covid19 you and your job

#1 Post by fatboy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:50 pm

As a Trade Union Representative I have been rather busy with this topic so here is a no u turn factually correct bit of advice.
If you believe being asked to attend your usual job places you or your immediate family at risk because the current situation then you have the right to withdraw from that situation and not expect any punitive measures

Hangovers don't count, reasons must be legit,will be happy to help if your employer is a complete tosser
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

Re: Covid19 you and your job

#2 Post by Kwackerz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:35 pm

We've got lads in with us for informal chats on the subject when they're concerned. The onus is on the bloke, if he feels his situation at work endangers the family then we're more than happy to let them go sort their stuff. I've got one guy gone back to Poland on 'the last flight' as he doesn't want to risk being in UK in a room in a bedsit alone ill with no family to help him. We dropped him at the airport Monday. One lad.. a key office lad, his missus is 5 months pregnant and scared shitless living in London. She wants to go home to Ireland with family and away from the hotbed of virus that is Ealing. They've gone home.. he's working remotely in Ireland on a laptop with VPN to the office. One bloke self isolated as his missus is a NHS carer and has symptoms and another is happier at work after weighing things up. (Safer with us and our countermeasures than at home with herindoors. :) ) I don't quite get how an employer can penalise someone for wanting to look after their family. You'd have to be a right cnut to be doing that.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

fatboy
World Champion

#3 Post by fatboy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:36 pm

There are some right cnuts about, many employed as managers.
My managers boss fits in the above category, his initial response was 'Tough shit, we'll all get it anyway'
He gave a spray bottle of bleach to one guy in cancer remission and asthmatic and said 'keep the vehicle cab clean, you'll be fine'
Complete cnut

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:04 pm

fatboy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:36 pm
There are some right cnuts about, many employed as managers.
My managers boss fits in the above category, his initial response was 'Tough shit, we'll all get it anyway'
He gave a spray bottle of bleach to one guy in cancer remission and asthmatic and said 'keep the vehicle cab clean, you'll be fine'
Complete cnut
The kind of person that if there were any justice should catch the pox himself...

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#5 Post by BikerGran » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:08 pm

Fatboy - can you say what happens if an employer doesn't do anything about applying for the government funding for the 80% of pay?

My gandson is a student who works in a local cafe on a zero hours basis but doesn't have a written contract. Been there about 3 years and I'm told that means there is a contract if it's only implied. He uses the funds to pay for his uni expenses and transport. The cafe of course is now closed and he's been told there will still be a job when it re-opens. His mum spoke to the owner about The furlough thing and government funding and she said she would "see about sorting something out". She's not exactly a great employer at the best of times and Nathan doesn't think she's going to do anything about it. Is there some way he can apply?
Or is this outside your knowledge?
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

fatboy
World Champion

#6 Post by fatboy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:26 am

BG, the situation is fast moving and I'm bound to be behind on some points.
A really good source of advice is ACAS, they update their website constantly