PhotoBucket.....

All non-motorcycle related chat in here

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

PhotoBucket.....

#1 Post by DavShill » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:58 am

Just noticed that Photobucket have blocked pics until you update and pay a fee to allow your pics to be uploaded to third party sites.

What are the other pic sites that people use?

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#2 Post by BikerGran » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:10 am

Flickr

Don't really use them now though, they are all getting awkward now they have people hooked!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#3 Post by Firestarter » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:21 am

Imageshack. Think you can also use Dropbox
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by D-Rider » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:21 pm

I can't access most of my pictures since Imageshack started charging for them (without even bothering to inform me).
That's why the forum lost the new joiner identification pictures for a while.

I had to find somewhere else in a hurry and found these:

https://imgbb.com/

They seem OK so far - but time will tell.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Gio
Double World Champion

#5 Post by Gio » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:03 am

If you have windoze 10 then use Microsoft Windows Live SkyDrive.

More info here for those who would like to use it http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledg ... orage.html
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:55 pm

Yes, Photobucket have effectively broken most of the forums I visit with their decision to ban 3rd party hosting. I can understand why they did it (it was costing them a fortune and they got nothing out of it), but had they offered a 3rd party hosting service for a reasonable fee (10-20 dollars a year) they'd have made a tidy profit. Instead they've gained the ire of huge numbers of forum users who will never use them again. They've reduced their costs, but at the expense of pissing half the internet off.

I don't use Windows 10 and will only ever use it if I'm forced into it, so what options are available? Don't Google provide cloud storage as part of their gmail service?

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#7 Post by BikerGran » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Dropbox. But I hated it on my W7 PC as it seemed to slow things down a lot.
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Yes - tried dropbox once and it pretty much takes over your PC. Couldn't wait to get rid.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by D-Rider » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:03 pm

mangocrazy wrote: Don't Google provide cloud storage as part of their gmail service?
Google Photos did work in the past for this .... however things changed and you stopped being able to get links with image file extensions.
You can provide a link to the photo but you can't get it to show in the forum.
I was a little annoyed when they started doing this.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#10 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:39 pm

I'm not quite sure how it works, but I think it's because hosting an image for a third-party site is much more bandwidth-intensive than linking to an image held on their own servers. Anyone viewing that thread with the image embedded will automatically 'pull' the image from Google's servers, whereas if you provide a link people only click on the link if they're interested, and the traffic is greatly reduced. That's as well as I can explain it, anyway.

The obvious and best solution is to host our own images on-site but that would need several orders of magnitude more storage than we currently use.

Gio
Double World Champion

#11 Post by Gio » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:52 pm

D-Rider wrote:
mangocrazy wrote: Don't Google provide cloud storage as part of their gmail service?
Google Photos did work in the past for this .... however things changed and you stopped being able to get links with image file extensions.
As Mango says in the post below yours, maybe we need to do this onsite ourselves and yes I know it costs money (which sadly for the next couple of months I am unable to contribute to as we are having to spend a lot of money on a property we own).
Lets look at what it would cost to do that and see who will provide financial backing from say next year.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by D-Rider » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:35 am

Gio wrote:
D-Rider wrote:
As Mango says in the post below yours, maybe we need to do this onsite ourselves and yes I know it costs money (which sadly for the next couple of months I am unable to contribute to as we are having to spend a lot of money on a property we own).
Lets look at what it would cost to do that and see who will provide financial backing from say next year.
Hi Gio
Yes, it's something we are already looking at along with the site hosting.
Apologies the activity is a bit slow going.
There again, the site is going to need to wake itself from its slumber if any of this is to be worthwhile. I've known things to be quiet before but never this quiet in the summer months.
-- Albert Einstein

Gio
Double World Champion

#13 Post by Gio » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:01 am

D-Rider wrote:Hi Gio
Yes, it's something we are already looking at along with the site hosting.
Apologies the activity is a bit slow going.
There again, the site is going to need to wake itself from its slumber if any of this is to be worthwhile. I've known things to be quiet before but never this quiet in the summer months.
Great and no problem with the slow bit, takes time to get things like that sorted out.

blinkey501
World Champion

#14 Post by blinkey501 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Well all the information I have added to the forum has no pictures.
:smt090
Tolerance will be our undoing.

Gio
Double World Champion

#15 Post by Gio » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:03 pm

blinkey501 wrote:Well all the information I have added to the forum has no pictures.
:smt090
What do you mean? :smt017