Self assembly kitchens needed

All non-motorcycle related chat in here

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Katana
Despatch Rider

Self assembly kitchens needed

#1 Post by Katana » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:49 pm

So after two different kitchen fiascos looking to get another kitchen, who are the best people to get a kitchen from.

Gio
Double World Champion

Re: Self assembly kitchens needed

#2 Post by Gio » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:02 pm

I've used Wickes 3 times over the years. Been happy with them.
Nowadays I have a friendly chippie who makes me units.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#3 Post by BikerGran » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:10 pm

Got mine from B&Q but that was at least 10 years ago so probably not relevant.
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Katana
Despatch Rider

#4 Post by Katana » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:15 pm

So far I can tell you that TQL are just poor customer service and have dodgy payment ideas. Such as cash/bank transfer and anything else have to pay extra. Cash payments to builders fitting the kitchen.

The second kitchen from Homebase and their premium allegedly german Kuchen Mobile range, homebase just very poor customer service. Brilliant excuses of only person can use his laptop so....

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:08 pm

My preference would be to look outside the major DIY sheds for a kitchen. Perhaps look at someone like Howdens, who actually make their own units (I have no connection to Howdens by the way). If you're handy enough you could buy the units and fit them yourself. I did that in our gaff in France, shipping the flat pack units down there and assembling/fitting them myself. The hardest thing was probably getting all the services (hot/cold water, waste, electricity, gas) all plumbed in at the correct places. If you're just replacing one set of units with another that might be less of a problem. I bought my units from a local independent kitchen company that manufacture their own base units but buy in the drawer fronts and doors.

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#6 Post by BikerGran » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:00 pm

We had an experience with Homebase when we were shopping for a kitchen. Went to have a look, askled a rather bored salesman for a price list - he said "We don't have a price list, you'll get the price when the designer's been to measure up."

We didn't invite him to our house.

If there's any relevance, I wouldn't buy from Wickes either - we had a bathroom suite from them, when the toilet innards fell apart (you know, the syphon bit) they couldn't supply a spare, only a complete new toilet!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Katana
Despatch Rider

#7 Post by Katana » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:22 pm

mangocrazy wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:08 pm
My preference would be to look outside the major DIY sheds for a kitchen. Perhaps look at someone like Howdens, who actually make their own units (I have no connection to Howdens by the way). If you're handy enough you could buy the units and fit them yourself. I did that in our gaff in France, shipping the flat pack units down there and assembling/fitting them myself. The hardest thing was probably getting all the services (hot/cold water, waste, electricity, gas) all plumbed in at the correct places. If you're just replacing one set of units with another that might be less of a problem. I bought my units from a local independent kitchen company that manufacture their own base units but buy in the drawer fronts and doors.
Not a great howdens fan, as they don't supply to the public. Last time I looked at the howden kichens, the offer of 60 days credit gave a cheaper price of unit than paying cash. Units were very cheap tho, and came either self assemble or ready assembled.

Currently looking at diy.kitchens.

Katana
Despatch Rider

#8 Post by Katana » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:25 pm

BikerGran wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:00 pm
We had an experience with Homebase when we were shopping for a kitchen. Went to have a look, askled a rather bored salesman for a price list - he said "We don't have a price list, you'll get the price when the designer's been to measure up."

We didn't invite him to our house.

If there's any relevance, I wouldn't buy from Wickes either - we had a bathroom suite from them, when the toilet innards fell apart (you know, the syphon bit) they couldn't supply a spare, only a complete new toilet!
Yeah that annoyed me but then the OH is a fucking pain on the arse. She lets 'designer' walk all over her. The one we had kept talking to me and was I had to tell him to speak to her. The designer measured the worktops wrong and blamed the tiles. But christmas without a kitchen is fun.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:59 am

Katana wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:22 pm
mangocrazy wrote:
Not a great howdens fan, as they don't supply to the public. Last time I looked at the howden kichens, the offer of 60 days credit gave a cheaper price of unit than paying cash. Units were very cheap tho, and came either self assemble or ready assembled.

On looking at their website there's an option to apply for a trade account...? Alternatively if you know a builder/kitchen fitter you can trust, get them to buy the units.

The firm I used are DC Interiors in Maltby, South Yorkshire. Not sure how close/far away they are to/from you.

Gio
Double World Champion

#10 Post by Gio » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:58 pm

mangocrazy wrote:
My one and only experience of Howdens is "dont", missing parts double charging for others, their afte service is terribl.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Katana
Despatch Rider

#11 Post by Katana » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Gio wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:58 pm
mangocrazy wrote:
My one and only experience of Howdens is "dont", missing parts double charging for others, their afte service is terribl.
There is no after sale service from houden all down to the builder. From experience.

Katana
Despatch Rider

#12 Post by Katana » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:24 pm

mangocrazy wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:59 am
Katana wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:22 pm
mangocrazy wrote:

On looking at their website there's an option to apply for a trade account...? Alternatively if you know a builder/kitchen fitter you can trust, get them to buy the units.

The firm I used are DC Interiors in Maltby, South Yorkshire. Not sure how close/far away they are to/from you.
Am in London, don't do Yorkshire ;)

Builder the other half got is more of a cheap kitchen installer using selco/b&Q and wickes.

Bigyin
Despatch Rider
Main bike: Ducati Multistrada 1200

#13 Post by Bigyin » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:43 am

Bought a kitchen today from Wren..... 50% discount on units which sold us as we were originally looking at only changing doors on our existing units. For B and Q basic range of doors on a colour we would have made do with Wren managed to do us all knew units with doors and handles on the colours we actually wanted and a load of soft close stuff. The price on doors on their own to stick on a really old kitchen were only about 60% less than a complete new kitchen with a lot of new additions .... no brainer :)

Its a range they dont advertise on the website but is available in the showrooms as they are pre built at the factory to standard sizes rather than bespoke as the rest of their stuff
Retired from proper work and now part time motorcycle instructor

Ducati Multistrada 1200 Grantourismo
Yamaha FSZ600 Fazer