trackday pics

Get involved here to discuss anything from the best tracks, organisers, bikes and tips for newbies.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

gavhowe
Despatch Rider

trackday pics

#1 Post by gavhowe » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:23 pm

Did my first trackday on the Falco instead of my track GSXR400. Was at Bedford aerodrome, the Falco did well and held its own. Had great battles all day with my mate on his R6.

Was little worried as had to run standard cans due to the noise limits so there were ground clearance issues, as with the feeler blogs removed the cans would touch down at the same time as the pegs. This was with the ride height wound up at the rear as well, so had to put them back on to play it safe. It also ran a bit flat at top end due to not being mapped with standard cans.

I ended up wearing away alot of feeler blob and also the belly pan. The bike has all the damaged panels I managed to get off other members so not to damage the standard panels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qjGJopinEU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2rLG7ZNw5w

Got loads more footage but have not got it uploaded yet

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by Kwackerz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:16 pm

Good pics, nice vids :smt001
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

fastasfcuk
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#3 Post by fastasfcuk » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:38 pm

great pics, especially the first one.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#4 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:47 pm

superb :)

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by mangocrazy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:57 pm

Excellent stuff. No bimbling around there, then... I do like your mate's R6's eyes and teeth - very sharp. And you must be serious, if you use tyre warmers! What rubber were you on, as a matter of interest?

Renevator
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#6 Post by Renevator » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:36 pm

Great stuff - and top photo that first one! Tyre warmers, bike cam, mate with mad bike teeth............you are organised :smt003

gavhowe
Despatch Rider

#7 Post by gavhowe » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:48 am

Heres few more images from the day and another session I have uploaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvpOKxsm9-A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVHj1hYptxA

Organised thats a first for me... tyre warmers just help you maximise your time on circuit they were not really needed as was using my road tyres the new Dunlop Sportsmart. Amazing tyres cant say enough good things about them and I was a Michelin man for 5 years.

I used to use my GSXR400 trackbike, but it is so much hassle trailering it to all the tracks. So thought I would use my road bike and ride to circuits and enjoy them, just get there take the number plate and wing mirrors off and go. I had a few mates on this track day so just gave them my wheel stands and warmers to take. On the Sportsmart warmers would not really have been needed, but on the Supercorsa SC1/SC2 on my GSXR400 they are needed as they feel horible till they heat up. I have got a set of Michelin Power One Track compound tyres to try on the Falco, but think they will be a bit over kill, and I am supposed to be taking it easier as it is my road bike.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by D-Rider » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:55 am

Nice pics and vids.

I was wondering how you got the bellypan down but in the last lot of pics I can see it's a Pifkee - these are known to touch down when "going for it".
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

gavhowe
Despatch Rider

#9 Post by gavhowe » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:00 am

yes I know they seem to have made the belly pan off to one side. I have drilled mine nearer the rear and use cable tie to pull it straighter, as it used to touch down very easily. Now it touches down same time as hero blobs, going to take it off for the next track day though as dont really want to wear a hole in it.

ReggieGasket
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#10 Post by ReggieGasket » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Nice piccies; you did well to stick with an R6 on a twisty track. I think it's well worth using track tyres for a track day. Road tyres are fantastic these days, I agree, but track tyres are noticeably better on track and you can push with greater confidence, which I think improves the day. I've been switching between Michelin 2CT (my road tyres) and Dunlop Sportmax GP (for track days). The Dunlops are incredible and feel better on the road too. I'm used to using smaller bikes on track days, so I love the feel of a sticky front on the Falco to give me more confidence to push. I did the Silverstone Arena GP this week on the Falco and the tyres were like glue through the fast turns. They cost £50 off ebay (used in a race), they have done 2 track days and still have plenty of life left. Bargin. They'd be poor in the wet though I would guess.

gavhowe
Despatch Rider

#11 Post by gavhowe » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:50 pm

i agree, if i wanted to push harder i would put the part worn power one race tyres i have in the garage :smt001

thing i have learnt about trackdays over last 5 years is that there is no prise for coming first. So i now back the pace of a bit to enjoy the day more and risk less. The gsxr400 i used to ride much harder keeping with the quick guys in the fast group, but i was pushing race tyre right to the edge and yes i crashed couple of time doing it. So now i am happy using the falco on track riding to the circuit doing the day and riding home. And i always leave a bit in reserve to minimise risk. How ever i do get the red mist still and not many get away from me if get my head down. Yes the r6 changes diection quicler but there aint that much in it. In session 2 i got my head down proper and lost him, but desided i would risk it less the rest of the day and just enjoy it

ReggieGasket
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#12 Post by ReggieGasket » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:16 am

Yes, totally agree with leaving some in reserve and trying to have fun, with the odd little race thrown in. Thing is I find I have more fun with sticky track tyres becasue I have total confidence in the tyres and never need to worry I'm on the limit. Also, if I do make a mistake I know the front won't wash out on me. Also, if I do feel the need to race someone I can really get on it without taking risks or sliding the tyres. I did a couple of track days last year with my CB500 on raod tyres and I just felt they limited the days unecessarily. Also, I think the bike feels much better on track tyres anyway. I've been riding on the road with my track tyres as I haven't got round to switching the wheels back and I think the bike feels better. It's a big bike and the extra grip gives a more confident feel even in road riding where you would never be pushing road tyres for grip. Anyway, great to see another Falco on track!! :smt003