Best Motorcycle Trackday tyres

Get involved here to discuss anything from the best tracks, organisers, bikes and tips for newbies.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Syltiz
Chaos Merchant

Best Motorcycle Trackday tyres

#1 Post by Syltiz » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:56 pm

Some of you will remember my GSXR project which is nearly ready. I am getting some new tyres on Wednesday and then she is ready for the VOSA test next Friday. From then on I plan on using her as a road and track bike... and if the track-day bug really bites then I'll convert her to a track-only bike.

Now... to those of you who do regular track days (i.e. Pierre)... where do you get tyres from? I can't imagine ripping through a set of tyres every track day or every 2nd track day and paying the £200 plus for new ones each time. There must be a trick to this right?

Paulh
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

Re: Track Day tyres

#2 Post by Paulh » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Syltiz wrote: Now... to those of you who do regular track days (i.e. Pierre)... where do you get tyres from? I can't imagine ripping through a set of tyres every track day or every 2nd track day and paying the £200 plus for new ones each time. There must be a trick to this right?
No trick - tyres cost more than the trackdays. Racers will often sell off race scrubs for about £40 /set - but there is a reason they are selling them on not using them.

Amongst the cheapest are Holbeach Tyres or Two Tyres motorcycle tyres london - but if you get them mail order you still have to add fitting cost.

Pierre
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#3 Post by Pierre » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:23 pm

Yea, i pay £50 for racetecs or full slicks. loads for sale if you go to a club meeting. Good for a roadbike if you can be bothered to warm them up cos the center is brand spanking new.

My mates started racing and even though a set is £220 new he's already changing them every 1 qualifying and 2 races (4+8+8 laps - 40miles) cos thats what his competitors do.

Yes they are worn on the edge, but ferk me, its only 40 miles of use on a 600, and its not like i'm pushing the limit of the tyre as i pootle round. In jamie whithams autobiography he tells the story of picking famous-at-the-time-but-i-cant-remember-his-name racers tyres out of the skip and then riding round the outside of him in a race :smt002

They have more grip than i have talent and thats a fact

Syltiz
Chaos Merchant

#4 Post by Syltiz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:05 am

Thats what I need then. Are club meetings the only place to pick them up at?

Do you have tyre-changing kit at home? If so, which one? Abba, Sealey, No-Mar.... or spade and spoon? :smt003

Paulh
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#5 Post by Paulh » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:47 am

Some racers sell them on ebay - or put a wanted post up on motoforum

http://www.motoforum.net/

If its for road and track use though remember race tyres (even though they are road legal) will never get up to temperature on the road, and are awful in the wet.

Syltiz
Chaos Merchant

#6 Post by Syltiz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Cheers. I will give that a try.

ReggieGasket
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#7 Post by ReggieGasket » Fri May 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Yes, buy from a racer. There will be lots of life left in the tyre. You should get 2 or 3 track days from used Super Corsas or Racetecs or Sportmax GP. We've been doing this for years with no problems.