Tyres, Pressures and Backing it in..

Get involved here to discuss anything from the best tracks, organisers, bikes and tips for newbies.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#31 Post by D-Rider » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:28 am

Kwackerz wrote: Michelin arent offering those pressures either...

Neither are Pirelli.....

:smt017 Did He just dream it all?
Pirelli are.
The Pirelli website recommends 3 tyres for the Falco (no, not, Front, Back and Spare)

Diablo
Diablo Corsa
Diablo Strada

Their website recommends these pressures for all of them:
Front: 2.5 bar
Rear: 2.9 bar

(this translates to 36psi and 42 psi)

Paulh
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#32 Post by Paulh » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:07 am

D-Rider wrote:
Are we saying that the running pressure is the overriding factor as this governs the shape of the contact patch?
:smt017

Thats what I try to go on - If my tyres are about 32/34 hot I'm happy with them, but I'm also used to what they feel like.

I did a CSS school a few years ago and they wheeled a Dunlop technician in for a talk on tyres, and he recommended dropping pressures for that reason (it was compulsory on the day)

The Metzler technicians I talked to at a an NG race meeting this year also gave me lower pressures for the track (on a sports tyre for race use) that the bikes road manual states (36/42 again!!)

You will get differing advice from everyone (including the tyre companies reps) - the best bet is to stick with what you are comfortable with, as its you riding. What is right for an experienced club racer is probably not right for someone on their 1st track day, as they are riding differently (and usually on different tyres)

Do another track day and adjust the pressures during the day to see how it feels - you are only out there to have fun (until it becomes an addiction.)

Paulh
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#33 Post by Paulh » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:27 am

To confuse things further - from the 2003 Aprilia Mille Workshop Manual

Metzler Sportec Front

Solo 2.3 bar
2 up 2.5 bar
track 2.0 bar

Metzler Sportec Rear

Solo 2.5 bar
2 up 2.8 bar
track 2.0 bar

Dunlop D207RR Front

Solo 2.3 bar
2 up 2.5 bar
track 2.1 bar

Dunlop D207RR Rear

Solo 2.5 bar
2 up 2.8 bar
track 1.9 bar

But Aplilia dont quote track pressures for things like the Bridgestone BT010 or Michelin Pilot Sport

So who do you believe
:smt017

Gio
Double World Champion

#34 Post by Gio » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:43 am

Personally I'd be inclined to accept what Mr Smith says, I've tried tyres at different pressures and much as they seem better at lower pressures on track I expect its all down to personal choice.

One case in point tho is BMW, on the GS with 2 up and luggage loaded they say up the rear tyre pressure by .5 bar and alter the suspension settings a couple or 3 clicks. Load of bolloxs really, handlings only marginally worse (slower to turn) and comfort makes no difference.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you feel okay at standard pressures don't change them.

Samray
Double World Champion

#35 Post by Samray » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:55 am

I agree with Paulh, suck it and see.
Do another track day and adjust the pressures during the day to see how it feels - you are only out there to have fun (until it becomes an addiction.)
There has been little mention of track temperature tho. Don't forget that might drastically change too.

Paulh
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#36 Post by Paulh » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:55 am

Gio wrote:Personally I'd be inclined to accept what Mr Smith says, .

Same rules apply to a 50cc moped as an R1 or Goldwing - I'd not accept that.

And when did Avon produce an acceptible tyre since the old roadrunner in the 70s / 80s?

Paulh
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#37 Post by Paulh » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:56 am

Samray wrote:I agree with Paulh, suck it and see.
There has been little mention of track temperature tho. Don't forget that might drastically change too.

If the rain stops

Gio
Double World Champion

#38 Post by Gio » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:58 am

Paulh wrote:

And when did Avon produce an acceptible tyre since the old roadrunner in the 70s / 80s?

What about the Azaro's(sp)

Is a 50cc moped allowed on track? :smt103

Paulh
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#39 Post by Paulh » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Gio wrote:
Paulh wrote:

Is a 50cc moped allowed on track? :smt103

1 Shite IMO
2. but his comments are about all tyres on all bikes, not just track specific (smallest I've seen out there this year is an 80cc race bike)

Gio
Double World Champion

#40 Post by Gio » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:18 pm

So you say reduce pressures then Paul.

Easy to see how its so confusing :smt005

How about this for a strange fact. Bicycles used in racing run with higher pressures than normal road tyres, typically up to twice the pressure and no they aren't slow, the one hour record with tracks with a proper camber and flat ground is just over 40mph.

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#41 Post by Kwackerz » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:20 pm

Gio wrote:
Paulh wrote:

It was a set of Azaros that I cooked. Applying the Avon logic to it, if i'd known about it, my new set of Azaros that I trashed could have been reinbursed, considering I followed their bloke's advice (albeit without knowing it)

:smt013

Wish i'd kept it now. Sent it off to Avon for their perusal. :smt013
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#42 Post by Kwackerz » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:28 pm

D-R, this has somewhat derailed your thread! Would you like me to split this rather decent little topic away from your equally decent topic? :smt002
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#43 Post by D-Rider » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:26 pm

Kwackerz wrote:D-R, this has somewhat derailed your thread! Would you like me to split this rather decent little topic away from your equally decent topic? :smt002
I'm not too bothered either way.
My original post would probably have been read by a handful and replied to by less (It's that sort of thread - I somehow doubt that if I collated the experiences of my life together and put out my memoirs that it would become an instant best-seller).
I even had to soup the Headline up a bit to give the impression I'd trashed the Falco to guarantee some readers!

Picking up on the tyre pressures has certainly given it more life than it would have otherwise!

I think that a valid reason to split it may be the thought that we could re-title it to help people who are trying to find out what they should do with tyre pressures for track days .... although it may not be that much help if they are looking for definitive answers!