Mallory Track Session – Falco Down

Get involved here to discuss anything from the best tracks, organisers, bikes and tips for newbies.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

Mallory Track Session – Falco Down

#1 Post by D-Rider » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

Last Sunday (5th) was the Free Trackday for Novices at Mallory that I posted up about a few weeks ago.
I wasn’t sure what time I should arrive as the instructions didn’t specify …. It just said “Signing On and Briefing Sessions throughout the day”.

I turned up about 11am to find things well under way – just a few stragglers creeping in. Made it to the paddock, signed in and then sat through the extra briefing session laid on for the latecomers. Next they sent us to the Pirelli tyre service to have our pressures set … letting about 15 psi out of the rear and 10 psi out of the front (me having set them to the manufacturers road settings the evening before). Then up pit lane to queue for the track.

The weather was fantastic, the Falco gleaming in its never-been-better-polished state (I knew that Pirelli were giving away sets of tyres to the best prepared bikes in various categories so I thought a bit of buffing in order).

{Note the pyre in the background .... have you lot been coming round at night making preparations for that burning?}

After about 5 mins a chap tells those of us that were waiting behind a couple of cones to turn round as we’d not get out before lunch. So, helmet on start to swing round, glance back up pit lane – just in time to see another bike coming past us all towards the front of the queue! WTF!! We’re all being sent back to the paddock and someone’s coming on down past all the queuing bikes. Well after the quick assessment of bike-to-bike contact (with me about to be T-boned) I slammed on the anchors but was well off balance mid turn and finding that putting my foot down couldn’t hold it, gracefully (?) hit the deck at a forward speed of zero.
Just a trifle embarrassing in front of a pit lane full of bikers. :smt053 :smt053 :smt053
Anyway we got the bike back up and I took it back to the paddock – complete with some minor gravel rash to the bellypan ….. but it could have been a lot worse!

Rashed BellyPan:

So that was the Falco Down bit – nothing very dramatic (but bloody annoying).

Eventually got out on track for my 20 min free session – my first time on track. Although this was a day for track novices, some had a bit more experience than others – and just about everybody else had done one or two sessions earlier in the day. As for me …. A complete Track-Virgin. Anyway, out we went and the bike felt very weird on its reduced tyre pressures. I could feel them improving during the warm up laps but they never felt right. Anyway, I began to get to know the track a little and, surprisingly, liked the bits I thought I wouldn’t and never really got to grips with some of the bits I thought I’d like.
In my 20mins I never got to grips with Gerards. There doesn’t seem to be any particular line through it – I think it’s because it goes on for ever – whatever radius you go in at you hold ‘till you come out. I never really sorted out my entry speed or how fast I could wind it on round there. Several bikes went past on outer radii (mainly instructors).Charlies was not used so the next action was Edwinas. I’d heard a lot of scare stories about Edwinas but I think it was my favourite part of the track …. except everyone seemed so slow through there – held up almost every lap (we weren’t allowed to overtake in the bends). I did arrive somewhat too fast one lap – rear swinging from side to side (well it felt like it but was probably unnoticeable to anyone watching). Overshot a bit and took the slow line through.
Out of Edwinas through the faster Cooper Esses was a good overtaking point.
Shaws Hairpin was nice – again constantly held up (seemed to be the case with the slower, tighter corners). Then through the Bus Stop (more successfully than Jonathan Rea in BSB) then into Devils Elbow. Never did sort out a good line through there and I think, as a result, my exit speed was too slow. On to the start /finish straight where I was blown into the weeds by the GSXRs and R1s. I think a lot of this was due to not sorting out Devils Elbow and not cracking on full throttle quite soon enough.
So – in summary, I really enjoyed Edwinas through to the Bus Stop but never figured out the Devils Elbow to the end of Gerards.
As a result, I certainly wasn’t the slowest out there but more passed me than I managed to pass. :smt053

When I got back in the tyres were fairly cut up – the last lap or two they felt just “wrong”. Think I’ll ignore the requests to drop the pressures so much if I ever do this again.

Tyres (Don't look so bad in the pics)
Image Image

When not on track, to be quite honest it was a bit boring. I think most people had come in groups and I was Billy-No-Mates. I don’t think I’ll bother with another track day unless I go with others I know.
TBH, on my very limited experience I prefer riding on the road to the track – without loads of other bikes getting in the way when there are nice bends to be taken. There again, one 20min session is not really enough to judge.

As for the prizes of tyres for the best prepped bikes (by which I think they meant “shiny”) – well I think these were judged while I was out on track – Doh!

I was planning to pay for a second 20 min session but didn’t bother in the end. The rest of the family were off to the in-laws for a few days so I decided to get home to see them off. Good thing I did as not long after they left I got a call to inform me they’d broken down – about 25 miles from home.
Anyway rescued them, got my wife’s car home (on 2 cylinders) and then spent the evening investigating the problem …. Which is why I’ve only just posted up about my track session. Anyway, thanks to Fiat web forums and Ebay I sorted out the problem – One EMS ECU and a new coil later (a common problem apparently) and my wife’s car was back on the road last night and I’ve just finished writing this!

Some pictures (of other people):

Appologies for poor quality pics

Stebbe Straight:

Edwinas:

:smt053

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by Kwackerz » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:26 pm

Sounds like a good time was had by all!

You do most definately need to reduce tyre pressures be fore going on track, it's always debatable as to how much however. Your tyres look ok for it though. My TT's 'blued up' a treat when I did mine. Overheated em then they cooled too quickly. second and third sesh at brands on mine was 'different'. Like riding with a glass finish rear tyre. spinning up and sliding everywhere. :smt009 All because I didnt reduce the pressures!
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

Gio
Double World Champion

#3 Post by Gio » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:40 pm

Well if you fancy a track day at the end of September and down this way, I'll go with you, I'll hire a bike.

Bit sad they didn't allow overtaking in bends, which is why I imagine you felt better on roads.

Nice read and shame about the minor scratches.

Pierre
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#4 Post by Pierre » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:44 pm

Bellypan will t-cut I'm sure :smt001 Thought I was going to have to raid my parts bin again

We're booking Mallory on Friday 31st of august with hottrax I think, hopefully tommorow - either pop along and watch or book into novices and use my bike cos i'll be booking into inters. Usual fee of beer and/or burger.

And as for tyre pressures , i've tried 70+ in the front and nearly fell off on the warmup lap, road pressures and Did fall off, and 30/30 for all the other times and they were fine. Guess which I'll be using :smt003

My road bike ran out of test on may 10th , thats how much fun trackdays are