First trackday on the Falco - Saturday 16-06

Get involved here to discuss anything from the best tracks, organisers, bikes and tips for newbies.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Falcomille
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

First trackday on the Falco - Saturday 16-06

#1 Post by Falcomille » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:31 pm

Well... the weather was sh*te - infact it started raining just as we pulled into the paddock area at Donnington. Somewhat wisely, I decided to rent a trailer on Thursday as the weather forecast for the area (and Manchester) was decidedly dodgy!
Well, I guess I did the right thing, because I arrived dry and fresh, whereas most who rode to the track started wet. Not nice.
Arriving at Donnington, I was somewhat alarmed, as most of the world's best racers would be arriving in the same paddock this week. Boy - what a dump. Looked like I was driving into a council tip. Anyhow, that's a different topic.
After a bacon buttie and copious mugs of tea, we had our riders briefing, who told us that the novices group (us) would be first out at 08:45. So off to the garages to unload the bike and fettle. Get changed. Get loosened up. Then nothing. It rained, and rained some more. We were told at 10:00 that they would make a decision at 10:30. At 11:00 they told us they would make a decision at 11:30. At 11:45 they told us to take an early lunch and check at 12:45. And it kept on raining.
At 1:00 we were told to line up in the pit lane for our sighting lap. Out we went in the pissing rain.
I did two sighting laps, and one further lap and came in, deeming it too dangerous. Everybody else came in on the next lap as there were a number of casualties (bikes in the gravel). Anyhow, they carried on with the next groups.
Many people decided not to risk their machines (one guy in our garage with a particularly tasy RSVR with tyre warmers and custom everything, didn't want to risk his bike) and went home.
Then the sun came out, track dried, result... half the number of track day-ers on a shit-hot track, so I really enjoyed it in the end. Not enough laps, but brilliant fun. No photographs to take home, I didn't break my knee-down cherry (mainly because I'm too old to get it down), but the Falco did well and I did manage to pass other bikes on the track.
Can't wait for the next one!!!!
[/i]

Gio
Double World Champion

#2 Post by Gio » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:41 pm

Glad you got a few laps in, there's nothing worse than a TD when it never stops pissing down.

Falken
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#3 Post by Falken » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:57 pm

:smt001
I'm there on Monday, hope the weather is better than you had.
Just hope there is no one looking on from the GP on Sunday, they may want to sign me up, (in my dreams).

Any tips?
Adventure before Dementia.

Gio
Double World Champion

#4 Post by Gio » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:14 pm

Falken wrote:Any tips?
Don't fall off :smt001

Viking
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#5 Post by Viking » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:37 pm

I did a track day a few years ago at Sandown here in Melbourne in the rain.

It was like riding on marble covered ice, with oil and diesel on top. Once the riding line got cleaned up (by the end of the session) it wasn't too bad.

I did have fun seeing how long I could get the rear wheel spinning up as I hit the painted area on the main straight. :smt003

Then the hail storm arrived, and everyone got off the track pretty damned quick.

Photos here: http://teamrc17.net/members/trips/trackday.html

(OK, so it wasn't on an Aprilia... Shoot me.)

Falcomille
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#6 Post by Falcomille » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:52 pm

Falken wrote::smt001
I'm there on Monday, hope the weather is better than you had.
Just hope there is no one looking on from the GP on Sunday, they may want to sign me up, (in my dreams).

Any tips?
When I was watching the rain fall, a local rider from Nottingham (with an ace Duke 996 SPS) told me that the top end of the track between the old hairpin and coppice does get washed with jet fuel from the planes taking off at East Mids. It's like a thin coating of diesel aparently. Personally, I was riding like a girl in the wet up that end anyway. Also, watch the corner at coppice as there is a permanent wet patch just on the exit as you nail it. It can upset the traction a bit.
In Donington today also. It rained. Hope the Riders for Health day of Champs went well though.
Enjoy your day on Monday. I gather Stoner is hanging around looking for tips.....

Falken
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#7 Post by Falken » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:26 am

Thenks Falcomille, will enjoy it if I can stop shaking after Pierre's posting about Croft.

How about telling Stoner to get on the new Aprilia V4 1200, when it comes out.

Goldie
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#8 Post by Goldie » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:33 pm

Falken wrote:...if I can stop shaking after Pierre's posting about Croft...
...fear or laugthter??? :smt005 :smt002 :smt005

Falcomille
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#9 Post by Falcomille » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:02 pm

Hey Falken... how did you get on at Donington Monday?
I'm glad my description of the wet track was echoed by Rossi & Co.
Must try another one this year.........

Falken
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#10 Post by Falken » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:30 pm

Hi Falcomille,
Track day abandoned for safety reasons, after waiting around until 10am.
Three rivers running across the track and two big pools of standing water, also the gravel traps were full of water.
Got it booked again on 20th September.
Still looking forward to it, now i've dried out.