Second track day

Get involved here to discuss anything from the best tracks, organisers, bikes and tips for newbies.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

Second track day

#1 Post by HisNibbs » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:27 pm

I made another visit to Rockingham where I met up with SpiderWheels aka Dave and his brother Charles. A good time was had by all and maybe Dave will post some of his pictures at some point..

I stayed in the fast group but this time set off from the back so I could do my warm up lap without getting in anyone's way. Pretty much every one else in that group was using tire warmers so this was a much better strategy than last time and in each session those passing me did so gracefully and once I got up to speed, I passed several other riders.

The camera man was there this time so here are a few shots.

Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

squadron Nero
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#2 Post by squadron Nero » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:43 pm

Cracking pictures. Are your mirrors upright to give an aerodynamic advantage? Does it make that much difference?

Looks like you had a real blast. I've only ever done track days in the car. But I'm more and more tempted to do one one the bike these days.

Nice boots too. I'd love a pair of Daytonas

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#3 Post by HisNibbs » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:54 pm

It takes a while to suppress the road rider habits so the mirrors are twisted round to stop me looking out for whats coming up behind...
Yes even though I'm trying to be sensible, it is fun.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by D-Rider » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:41 pm

Interesting to see the shot of you and that beemer - you with your number plate and the BM without - clearly a trackday machine.

Next time can you fit a pair of panniers and a tail pack? It's sure to wind them up that bit more when you go past.

:smt002
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

blinkey501
World Champion

#5 Post by blinkey501 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:44 am

D-Rider wrote:
Next time can you fit a pair of panniers and a tail pack? It's sure to wind them up that bit more when you go past.

:smt002
:smt036

Nice to see you had a nice time keith :smt003
Tolerance will be our undoing.

nicketynoo
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#6 Post by nicketynoo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:41 am

The underneath of your bike needs a clean Keith :smt002
I don't care if you lick windows,
Take the special bus
Or occasionally pee on yourself.
You hang in there sunshine, you're special!

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#7 Post by randomsquid » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Nice pics there. What was the most impressive thing you stuffed?
Where ever I lay my hat.....

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#8 Post by HisNibbs » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:01 pm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:52 pm Post subject:
Nice pics there. What was the most impressive thing you stuffed?
Well it wasn't the BM in the picture, I was able to follow that for a bit but he gradually pulled away, but another BM this time an R1100s oil head. looked like it had been around the block a few times and possibly no longer on the road as it was running tires with very little tread. The fact that he was in that group at all impressed me, it was being very well ridden but was not really a match for the Falco performance wise and usaly one of the first bikes I got past. Hard to tel the Japanese 1000s apart but I passed a couple of those too.

In the fast group I wasn't overtaking loads but within the 20 minute session maybe 5 or so. There is definitely room to go a second or two a lap quicker but the only way I'm allowing myself back on the track is to treat it more like a road session, where there are no prizes for being fast and only costs for falling off.

spiderwheels
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#9 Post by spiderwheels » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:30 am

I'm finally getting around to posting some pics. It was impressive watching Keith flying the Falco flag in the fast group! (And for riding the bike to the circuit too).

My brother and I were down in the Novice group. I'm sure it was only us and one or two others who actually were novices as most of the others were track-prepped bikes on trailers - there must have been a lot of overspill from the other groups.

I spent most of the day getting passed and grinding bits off the side stand. But it was such good fun I'm going again this Sunday :)

Edit with inline images:

Insert humourous comment here