Haslam Race School

Get involved here to discuss anything from the best tracks, organisers, bikes and tips for newbies.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Haslam Race School

#1 Post by Firestarter » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:21 am

Booked in for this last week, thoroughly enjoyed it and learned quite a bit. Need some more track time to properly put it into practice...

First session:

Third session:

Looking better at the end, thought I was hanging off quite a bit but the pics say otherwise!

The Honda was spot on for the day, am considering my options as I think, as much as I love the Falco, I might get a lot out of riding something smaller for a while. Maybe a track bike is in order... :smt003
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by D-Rider » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:44 am

I've first started thinking that I wanted to do Ron's school about 25 years ago (or more) - soon after he started it.

Still not done it (combination of finding time, difficulty in justifying spending that much on a day of just fun and concern that it'll rain on the day I book)

Looks good though.

There is a lot to be said for a 600 super-sport too.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

fatboy
World Champion

#3 Post by fatboy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:37 pm

With you on that one D-R.
Would love to hone the edge a little but it is a lot of bucks.
A guy at work did a 3 day course at Mallory ( I think ), on his last day he got bollockings for taking out traffic cones with his shoulder that mark entry/apex/exit points.
We are not talking roadworks size cones but the little 18 inch ones that you see primary school kids running around !
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#4 Post by Firestarter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:14 pm

Did enjoy it, didn't realise it was only 1/2 day though! 3 sessions, could have done with a fourth I think, but great fun. I wound up on my own (usually groups of 2) as the guy I was with at the start was the Honda Europe manager who got to play with all the toys (so was needless to say a bit handier on a bike than me...)

Been watching some of the California Superbike School vids on youtube as well - some really good stuff there, well worth a look

fatboy
World Champion

#5 Post by fatboy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Maybe not quite hangin off,yet !
You enjoyed it and learnt from it so :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

HowardQ
World Champion

#6 Post by HowardQ » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:53 am

Firestarter wrote:Did enjoy it, didn't realise it was only 1/2 day though! 3 sessions, could have done with a fourth I think, but great fun. I wound up on my own (usually groups of 2) as the guy I was with at the start was the Honda Europe manager who got to play with all the toys (so was needless to say a bit handier on a bike than me...)

Been watching some of the California Superbike School vids on youtube as well - some really good stuff there, well worth a look
If that was Dave Hancock, YES he is a bit quick!
:smt002
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#7 Post by Firestarter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Yep, do believe that was the guy! That's him in the first pic behind me (only cos that's where the instructor told him to go!)

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#8 Post by HisNibbs » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:51 pm

I've thought of doing that and bid on it once at a charity auction. Got out bid though. How much was the three sessions, how long did they last and what was the format of the training?
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#9 Post by Firestarter » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:24 am

Basically, it was 1/2 day (I didn't realise this at time of booking), for £289. I did the Premier class, which is the first "big bike" class (they do stuff for kids/complete novices as well). The Premier (as I understand it) is a general class with 2:1 student:instructor, going over the basics of fast riding, while the Elite class is 1:1, so much more tailored to what you want to get out of it (you have to do the Premier before doing the Elite).

Format of the day was basically registration, followed by an initial briefing/description of the track, flags, rules, what do the different coloured cones mean etc. Then the first track session, where the instructor is basically assessing your ability, riding style, and looking for the key points of your riding. There's a bit of a chat in the pit lane with the instructor, and some static bikes to sit on, adjust riding position etc.

2nd track session to put into practice the riding style stuff, followed by a de-brief with the whole group talking more about the track, possible gear selections, so higher level (i.e. applies to everyone, not inidividually with your instructor - basically it's the instructor's tea break). Third session is then a "put it all together" affair.

Each session was about 20 mins track time, all in was there for about 3 1/2 hours. I probably didn't get as much out of the instructor briefings as some, as I was coming from a lower level (everyone else had done trackdays before), but I probably progressed more while the others "polished" existing skills.

Was a lot of money for 1/2 day (compared to a track day), but I think the feedback etc was very valuable, plus you're getting the bike, all the gear etc. I elected to wear their gear, in case I put it down the road

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#10 Post by Firestarter » Sat May 23, 2015 8:58 am

First time on track since the Haslam day - Oulton Park