The forum to discuss the latest developments in motorcycle racing. The bikes, the riders, the action!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Gio
Double World Champion

#1 Post by Gio » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:04 pm

So who's going to come out on top?

In the case of the Dayglo Orange Hondas, I rather fancy Mr Marquez to show the Pedrosa how to ride by the 4th/5th race.

Good to see Rossi back on the Yamaha, even if he never wins again, he'll definitely put pressure on Lorenzo and keep Pedrosa back in 3rd/4th YAY.

However after last season I am looking forward to Crutchlow repeating last years feats and if he gets some good parts on the bike maybe do even better, he's easily the best of the satellite riders.

So come on stick yer chins out and voice an opinion.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#2 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:37 pm

I rather think Rossi will do well

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by mangocrazy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:48 pm

I rather think Pedrosa will win the championship.

HowardQ
World Champion

#4 Post by HowardQ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Nice and open at the moment isn't!
Could be a good year.
If I had to bet money on it, I think it would be on Lorenzo, because Rossi will ultimately be pushing him, and he will go quicker.
Pedrosa could do well, but Marques will push him too hard and upset him.

Crutchlow?

I have my fingers crossed for him, but he will get more podiums for certain.
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by D-Rider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:31 pm

A lot will depend on how the bikes have evolved throughout the closed season and although I think Lorenzo is slightly the better rider, I think it likely that Pedrosa will take the championship with Lorenzo in second spot.

Much easier to predict this than SBK than BSB !
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Cathcart
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#6 Post by Cathcart » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:16 am

Double post...
Last edited by Cathcart on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life".
Marco Simoncelli.

Gio
Double World Champion

#7 Post by Gio » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Well having had a look at Pedrosa's efforts so far 2006-12 he's so far off the winner list its got to be embarrassing to him, he's never liked any of his team mates and to be honest with Marquez in the same team I think it'll be bye bye Pedrosa at the end of the season.

What I love about Marquez is his similarity to Rossi, he plays for the fun, and if it rubs the rests nose in it so be it.

Motogp desperately needs a rider to come forward of the calibre of Rossi to keep it alive, and since Simoncelli died thats been lacking.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

falcomunky
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#8 Post by falcomunky » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 pm

Totally agree Gio. Marquez is deffo one to watch.
Fingers crossed for Cal though! :smt003
Two is the magic number... ;)

Gio
Double World Champion

#9 Post by Gio » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:34 pm

falcomunky wrote:Totally agree Gio. Marquez is deffo one to watch.
Fingers crossed for Cal though! :smt003
Oh yes My man of the moment I loved watching how well he did in pre-season with the 12 bike. Also Smith looks far more comfortable on a gp bike than the Moto2 model

Cathcart
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#10 Post by Cathcart » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:36 am

I'm thinking pedrosa this year... Biggest problem I think is lorenzos consistancy, less exciting to watch but its what wins championships.

Don't think marquez can step up and straight to the top in one season especially when he'll need to be really good from the start to get the points together. Be amazing to see him do otherwise though.
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life".
Marco Simoncelli.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:46 pm

As others have said, it looks like we might get a proper 4-way fight for races and the championship this year. Having seen the way Marquez has gone in testing, I'm expecting him to win a couple at least this year and possibly even challenge for the Championship.

And Rossi has finally gone to the top of the timesheets on the 2nd day of testing at Jerez. That has to be good for his confidence and the sport in general.

One thing is for sure, it's going to be even harder than usual to get a podium this year. I think the satellite Yams and Hondas will have to be satisfied with 5th or lower most weekends. A podium for a non-factory bike would be a real feather in the cap (unless Barbera or Bautista do their patented impersonations of a wrecking ball at the start, of course...)

PH1969
Despatch Rider

#12 Post by PH1969 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:14 am

I'm thinking Lorenzo because he will gain positively from the Rossi pressure and the Pedrosa/Marquez team will be negative with dummies being spat out all over the garage.
Would be great to see Cal on the podium or even sneak a win but there are 4 bikes better than his on the grid.
Hope Scott Reading does well this year and makes the step up to MotoGP next year, it needs another character like him and it will piss Marquez off if he's racing Scott.
2013 KTM 990 SMT
2001 Aprilia Falco
2002 Buell X1 Lightning
1967 T120R

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#13 Post by DavShill » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Looks like it is going to be really exciting this year. Marquez look like he'll be on or ahead f the pace from race one if testing is anything to go by.

Rossi, Lorenzo and Pedrosa will hopefully provide some close racing. Can't help wondering how on earth Brad Smith has secured a ride - Good to see more Brits in the top class but he's really not performed in the second tier since Moto 2 came around.

beyond
Despatch Rider

#14 Post by beyond » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:19 pm

DavShill wrote:Can't help wondering how on earth Brad Smith has secured a ride - Good to see more Brits in the top class but he's really not performed in the second tier since Moto 2 came around.
His father is loaded and brings money to the team. He has essentially bought his way into it. He's not a bad rider by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not convinced he deserves the place above all the other riders in Moto2.
You always have a choice

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by D-Rider » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Bradley got the job at the end of the previous season and was offered the opportunity to ride in MotoGP last year with Tech3. He turned it down as he wanted another year's experience in Moto2 and a crack at that title - which they gave him along with a reserved ride this year in MotoGP.
Things didn't turn out so well but my speculation is that Tech3 were doing so exceptionally well in MotoGP last year that they threw everything at that and didn't put much effort into their Moto2 campaign. I don't know whether that is the case but it would seem logical.
It'll take him a while to learn to ride the big-boys' bikes but let's cut him a bit of slack.

What is good to see is his team-mate (Coventry's) Cal Crutchlow topping the 3 days timesheets of the Jerez pre season tests that have just finished.
Of course it won't last into the season with new parts only going to Rossi and Lorenzo (none to Cal for the first 3 races) but he really is doing exceptionally well.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein