The forum to discuss the latest developments in motorcycle racing. The bikes, the riders, the action!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

falcomunky
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#31 Post by falcomunky » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Rossi appears to have found his mojo! lol
If he hadn't effed-up and dropped down the field I reckon he would have challenged Lozenge and, imo, beaten him. I just hope Vale can maintain it for the rest of the season!... :smt004
Two is the magic number... ;)

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#32 Post by D-Rider » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:50 am

Managed to watch it last night.

Absolutely fuming at Rossi. Rode like a complete twat - particularly at the beginning of the race and completely spoilt Crutchlow's chances by causing mayhem in the very part of the race that Cal had to get past the Honda - and looked as though he would. If he'd done that he'd have cleared off after Lorenzo.
After Rossi's idiocy there was no chance. Yamaha should give him a major kicking.

The difference between satellite and factory Yamahas was considerable. Cal was dropped instantly on the long straight - taking half of the rest of the lap to haul them back in. Rossi's factory bike could hang with them down the straight - the crucial difference.

Of course Cal screwed up trying to hold Rossi off but we needn't have been in that position.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Paulh
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#33 Post by Paulh » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:25 am

D-Rider wrote:Of course Cal screwed up trying to hold Rossi off but we needn't have been in that position.
Good to see Crutchlow going so well, but screwing up under pressure seems to be a habit he has - he did it a lot last season as well, particularly when Dovi got up to speed on the same bike. Probably the only thing he needs to sort out.

Looking good for the season though, but going from the testing results its looking lika a Honda track next - Marques 's 1st win in his 2nd race?

Gio
Double World Champion

#34 Post by Gio » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Paulh wrote:
D-Rider wrote:Of course Cal screwed up trying to hold Rossi off but we needn't have been in that position.
Good to see Crutchlow going so well, but screwing up under pressure seems to be a habit he has - he did it a lot last season as well, particularly when Dovi got up to speed on the same bike. Probably the only thing he needs to sort out.

Looking good for the season though, but going from the testing results its looking lika a Honda track next - Marques 's 1st win in his 2nd race?

You never know do you, but I'll go for Rossi next race with Lorenzo 2nd then Marquez
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#35 Post by mangocrazy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:37 pm

D-Rider wrote:Managed to watch it last night.

Absolutely fuming at Rossi. Rode like a complete twat - particularly at the beginning of the race and completely spoilt Crutchlow's chances by causing mayhem in the very part of the race that Cal had to get past the Honda - and looked as though he would. If he'd done that he'd have cleared off after Lorenzo.
After Rossi's idiocy there was no chance. Yamaha should give him a major kicking.
Good grief Andy; it's not a knitting contest... I really wouldn't say Rossi rode like a twat, in fact Cal said afterwards that he needs to start showing aggression like Rossi in his overtakes.

I watched the first few laps again, and Rossi passed Cal completely cleanly and fairly on lap one. The next lap he tried to pass Dovi and over-did it to the extent his brakeguard touched Pedrosa's bike. Without it he admitted he'd have crashed. But at no point did he impede Cal, in fact his disappearance from the top 6 helped Cal a fair bit.

Cal's big mistake was not nailing Dani while Marquez was still stuck behind Dovi. He had about one lap in which he could have done it, but didn't. As soon as MM got past Dovi it was inevitable he would nail Cal, and so it proved.

I'm sure if you asked Cal he'd have had no complaints about Rossi's riding. His problems were a lack of aggression at crucial points in the race and a lack of top speed all the way through.

HowardQ
World Champion

#36 Post by HowardQ » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 pm

That's as I saw it as well Graham, perhaps when Cal has more power he will be less hesitant, but until then he is still looking good.
Problem is he has more people to beat now!
Last edited by HowardQ on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#37 Post by Dalemac » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:03 pm

Only just got round to watching the race. Thoroughly enjoyed it (although I see BBC coverage is still laughable), especially seeing Rossi back where he should be and seeing Marquez do one over on Pedrosa.

I still think there is something missing from MotoGP, and I still can't put my finger on it.

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#38 Post by HisNibbs » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Dalemac wrote:Only just got round to watching the race. Thoroughly enjoyed it (although I see BBC coverage is still laughable), especially seeing Rossi back where he should be and seeing Marquez do one over on Pedrosa.

I still think there is something missing from MotoGP, and I still can't put my finger on it.
More clinical and not so "Gung Ho" as the Superbikes? or .......KC?
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#39 Post by BikerGran » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:30 pm

Yes - same thing that's missing from F1 as opposed to one-marque racing.
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#40 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:43 pm

I actually thought that the Qatar MotoGP race was one of the better ones of recent memory, and not just because Rossi was back at the sharp end. The thing that really sterilises it is the prevalence of electronics; the riders that can be metronomic and precise (like Lorenzo) are the ones that do best. Riders like Schwantz or Gary McCoy wouldn't stand a chance these days.

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#41 Post by Dalemac » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:01 pm

BikerGran wrote:Yes - same thing that's missing from F1 as opposed to one-marque racing.
I enjoy both but for different reasons. I like the longer races, pit stops, tyres situation and the fact we have 4 brits in F1.

I like the 'on edge' racing of MotoGP but the races are just too short.

Then there is hilarious crash images.

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#42 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Bet Marquez bins it

Rossi too win

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#43 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:47 pm

How wrong was I !

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#44 Post by Dalemac » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:How wrong was I !
Just about as wrong as you can be!

good race, nice to see Marquez win. He is definitely a future champion.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#45 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:28 pm

Classy first MotoGP win - definitely a future champion - possibly even this year...? And youngest winner of 500cc/MotoGP race ever (beating Freddie Spencer). Not to mention pole position...

I think we're seeing the start of a new era.