Would anyone be interested in...

If you're selling your motorbike, any parts or accessories - then place your FREE advert here. No trade adverts.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

falcomunky
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

Would anyone be interested in...

#1 Post by falcomunky » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:40 pm

A set of unknown-make race, (but not stamped), titanium, (I think), oval end-cans/link pipes/springs/straps for their Falco?
Please let me know ASAP because Ive been offered a nice Blue Flame twin port with removable baffle to fit the RSV pipes Ive just got but the Missus says cash is too tight. :smt009
However.
Ive convinced HER that if I can sell the two cans, (see any of the many pics Ive posted on ere!), then it will go part way to paying for the Blue Flame and then SHE says I can have it... :smt002
Theyre in decent nick and sound AWESOME
Please somebody help!!!
Ta! :smt003
FM
Two is the magic number... ;)

scottyni
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#2 Post by scottyni » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:50 am

pm'd you
if you can't ride it....
OR take it too bed...

IT AIN'T WORTH HAVIN...

falcomunky
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#3 Post by falcomunky » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:42 pm

Pm returned... :smt002

Samray
Double World Champion

#4 Post by Samray » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:17 pm

"Not known at this address" ? :smt083

falcomunky
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#5 Post by falcomunky » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:23 pm

Heh heh. :smt003

falcomunky
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#6 Post by falcomunky » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:09 pm

Just in case I missed summink...
Anyone tell me what else I might need to complete the exhaust conversion?
Got pipes/gaskets/springs
Almost got end-can
Bidding on a no-footrest hanger, (plenty about)
Someone mentioned the oil tank?
Why?
Is it essential to get the RSV item, (it is a completely different shape), and does anyone have one?
Also, Im after a new chip, but should I get one to suit the Mille or the Falco, (assuming theres actually a difference)? :smt017
I figured Id get the Mille item as the engine is derestricted, I'll, (hopefully), have the Blue Flame and single-sided system in place so I reckon it would be more RSV than SL in that department...
Thoughts?...

Pierre
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#7 Post by Pierre » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:50 pm

Oil tank is because the falco downpipe from the front cylinder is kinked to the throttle side. Mille goes straight down and the under-engine pipes will hit the falco oil tank. You can see the difference on the yorkshire aprilia site but in any case, F9's the expert :smt001

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by D-Rider » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:54 am

Falcomunky, It was me who mentioned the oil tank - for the reason that Pierre stated.

BUT

Looking at the pics of your bike I think you have a Skidmarx bellypan (or the RSVR one that's essentially the same).

The problem you will have is the same problem that I am facing. The Mille oil tank will not fit inside that bellypan.
As I see it there are several potential solutions:
  • * Change to a Pifkee bellypan - but I prefer the Skidmarx one and don't really want to buy another
    * Modify the Mille oil tank to fit within the bellypan - it's a possibility but may not be so easy
    * Modify the Falco oil tank to fit round the mille exhaust - possible but I'd like to keep the one I've got intact and have never seen a spare one for sale
    * Modify the Mille pipework a little to mate with the Falco's front header
My current favourite is to get the pipework modded to fit the falco front header .... but I've yet to find someone who can do a good job of welding stainless - although I've not searched that hard yet.

I do have a Mille oil tank .... which will become surplus to requirements if I can sort out the pipe modification.

falcomunky
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#9 Post by falcomunky » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:38 pm

Funnily enough, once the weather improves I intend to lose the bellypan anyway! :smt004
How much fettling, in your opinion DR, do the Mille pipes need to meet up with the Falco downpipes? :smt017
I had wondered wether it was possible to just 'plug n play', (this was intended as a long-term, do-it-whenever kinda project but it seems to gaining momentum!).

Falco9
Aprilia Admin

#10 Post by Falco9 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:35 pm

Sorry for highjacking but nothing is really "plug & play" on this conversion I'm afraid.

You'll have a lot of fettling to do to make the Falco front header pipe meet up. Far better to buy a Mille system of downpipes, as the front header runs straight under the engine (hence why you need the Mille oil tank) the only part of the exhaust you don't need to replace is the rear header (thank god, coz it's pain to remove).

The Falco oil cooler can be used but needs some work on the oil pipes as the feed runs out from the top instead of the bottom and you'll need to fabricate a rear can hanger as the std one (Mille & Falco) won't meet up because the Falco sub-frame runs at a lower angle than the Mille exhaust is designed to meet up with.

F9 :smt006

falcomunky
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#11 Post by falcomunky » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:38 am

Well, after a lot of thought Ive decided against the single pipe conversion, (anyone need the Mille pipes; In good nick!).
Theres just too much work and cash involved and I dont want to take her off the road now the weather is on the up...
Also, I need the rear shock replacing more urgently than the end can.
Which shock is the best to go for, (bar the Ohlins; Waaaay too expensive fer my poor, recently battered wallet to handle!)?
Ive searched through the old ARSite and couldnt find the thread which details all the modding required fer each of the different shocks available.
I quite fancy the yellow spring Sachs, but am I right in thinking I need the linkages/dogbone off the RSV to suit? :smt012
Is the white spring shock a direct swap for the blue OE Sachs effort? :smt017
Im hoping that the yellow Sachs will raise the ride height a tad and thus give me more clearance between the battery box and swingarm. At the mo, the whole bike is a little too 'level' fer my liking... :smt002

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by D-Rider » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:00 pm

falcomunky wrote: Ive searched through the old ARSite and couldnt find the thread which details all the modding required fer each of the different shocks available.
I quite fancy the yellow spring Sachs, but am I right in thinking I need the linkages/dogbone off the RSV to suit? :smt012
Is the white spring shock a direct swap for the blue OE Sachs effort? :smt017
Im hoping that the yellow Sachs will raise the ride height a tad and thus give me more clearance between the battery box and swingarm. At the mo, the whole bike is a little too 'level' fer my liking... :smt002
Hi FM

Yes, your understanding is correct - White-spring Sachs uses the same linkages as the Falco, the Yellow-spring Sachs uses different linkages (longer 'dog-bone' and triangles are more Isosceles shaped). These compensate for different spring-rate and shock travel.
Both versions have Ride Height Adjustment.

The White-spring shock often requires the schraeder valve to be trimmed back by a couple of mm to avoid the frame.

Occasionally an RSVR Ohlins comes up at a good price (mine did) - but you've got to be lucky ... and there seem to be less bargains on ebay these days.
If you see a Falco Ohlins, be aware that although it will fit with the Falco swinger, it won't fit with the Mille swinger (vertical mount reservoir fouls).

Oh yes, the 04 onwards RSVs and later Tuonos have the more angular swinger which uses a different Yellow spring shock. I believe the basic swinger geometry is different to the Falco and fitting the linkages that come with that shock may not sort things out properly unless you change to the new shaped RSV swinger (which is not such an easy mod). This, of course, is the swinger that had the recall - but of course the ones they replaced them with are fine.
I don't really know the 'ins and outs' of using this later shock but unless you've sorted out what really needs to be done, the simplest thing is to go for one of the earlier shocks.

Hope this helps you.

:smt003

falcomunky
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#13 Post by falcomunky » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:38 pm

Ta fer the confirmation DR.
Anyone have the Mille linkages, (or the yellow-spring Sachs shock fer that matter!)?
Theres a couple of sets on Ebay Im watching, but Id rather buy from someone I 'know'. :smt002