Tyres for Streetbike (V Twin)

Looking to buy a new helmet, clothing or accessories? Ask for opinions and advice here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

fatboy
World Champion

#46 Post by fatboy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:15 pm

Well if they work on the ultimate hooligan bike (Busa) then they work full stop !
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Cathcart
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#47 Post by Cathcart » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:20 am

When I was looking at an sv the guy had the maxxis diamond ones, he said they were good tyres but when you got the bike over on its ear that it felt a bit strange (moved around a little, squirmy) although never let go.

Although I think for the little overall price difference I'll probably stick to a "usual" brand.
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life".
Marco Simoncelli.

slickliner6
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#48 Post by slickliner6 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:57 pm

Cathcart wrote:When I was looking at an sv the guy had the maxxis diamond ones, he said they were good tyres but when you got the bike over on its ear that it felt a bit strange (moved around a little, squirmy) although never let go.

Although I think for the little overall price difference I'll probably stick to a "usual" brand.
does feel a little (tiny bit) strange at first,but that may be due to the extra contact area on the road ?????,,,,soon get used to it though (well i have).And i shall be getting the same in future.(just my opinion ofcourse). :smt020
A day without a laugh is a day wasted.

we were so poor when i was growing up.Dad said "its a good job i was born a boy,at least id have something to play with" ;-)

Cathcart
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#49 Post by Cathcart » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Strangely I've opted for a set of Metz m3... £159 fitted (no new valve as I've a metal 90degree one), for that price and what I read then I think they're worth a bash.
Let's see how these are.
Last edited by Cathcart on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life".
Marco Simoncelli.

fatboy
World Champion

#50 Post by fatboy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:23 pm

I was talking tyres when I had my MOT last weekend, the owner of the shop said tyre manufacturing is so good these days, you cannot buy a bad tyre ( unless you opt for something like Wan Kin Veitnam Supa price specail tyre)
Some are a bit better than others,so its down to choice, if you feel confident with your tyres, it'll reflect in your riding
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#51 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:29 pm

fatboy wrote:I was talking tyres when I had my MOT last weekend, the owner of the shop said tyre manufacturing is so good these days, you cannot buy a bad tyre ( unless you opt for something like Wan Kin Veitnam Supa price specail tyre)
I'd agree with that. Even the worst 'name' tyre will be better than what we were using 5 years ago and a LOT better than what we were using 10 years ago.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#52 Post by D-Rider » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:03 pm

fatboy wrote:I was talking tyres when I had my MOT last weekend, the owner of the shop said tyre manufacturing is so good these days, you cannot buy a bad tyre
I thought that was true 9 years ago .... but those Metzler MEZ3s that came with the Falco spectacularly proved that theory wrong!
Still, they don't make them any more so maybe all is well now.
fatboy wrote: Some are a bit better than others,so its down to choice, if you feel confident with your tyres, it'll reflect in your riding
I'm certain there are noticeable differences in tyres and not all tyres are as competent (or confidence inspiring) as others in all situations.
I have a couple of sets of wheels with different tyres that I use at different times of year. Overall I wouldn't say one is better than the other but they certainly beat each other in the situations that suit them. So much so that even I can notice it.

I'm sure there are some tyres that perform overall noticeably worse than others. So although all tyres might not be bad, I'll venture that some are better than others.

The important thing is that each of us is happy with our own particular choice.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

FalcoPete
Despatch Rider

#53 Post by FalcoPete » Fri May 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Bike: SL1000R Falco
Type of riding: Wet, dry, track days, you name it
Tyre: Maxxis Supermaxx Presa-Sport (120/70/17, 180/55/17)
Cost: £165 for the pair

On my second rear and they are absolutely brilliant! Got 5,000 miles out of the last rear which included a track day at Brands. Rode in the snow from London Excel show down to Southampton in 2009 and they were rock solid, which I didn't expect. Had rain all the way up to Brands too and never gave me any worry. They really handle the rain given they're a sports tyre. Brands had everything from heavy rain to sunshine throughout the day and they coped with it all. Only had one 'moment' coming out of Graham Hill Bend (off camber) when the rear let go through my being a tad over aggressive in the damp, but immediately hooked up again. There is so much feed back too. Can't praise them enough and for the cost, they take some beating.

Agree with previous comments about Mez3's and Mez4's they were rubbish especially when getting to the end of their life. No feel whatsoever.
The Falco - a gentleman's sports bike; a hardcore sports-tourer; a connoisseur's motorcycle (BIKE Mag July'08)