Tyres for Streetbike (V Twin)

Looking to buy a new helmet, clothing or accessories? Ask for opinions and advice here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Dalemac
Midnight Rider

#31 Post by Dalemac » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:43 am

I have had some avon storm 2's on mine for god knows how long now.

Still got years worth of tread left, too!

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#32 Post by Firestarter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:56 pm

blinkey501 wrote:Some don't rate the bridgestones on a falco. But fitted BT021's f+r. I did a few track days on them and they were very good.
The chicken strips were long gone.
Has a day to day tyre they gave good mileage I would use them again.
Just fitted some BT-016 Pros, so far so good. Only done about 100 miles on them, so barely scrubbed in, but they've been good so far in what's mainly been wet/damp conditions. Might just be the new-tyre feeling, but feel a lot sharper than the Diablos, happier to turn in and hold a line, and the grip has been really good so far.

And for £185 fitted (loose wheels), can't complain! Was waiting for Diablo Rosso Corsas (which were £50 more), but after 10 days of waiting decided to try something different
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

GregD-UK
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

Tyres...

#33 Post by GregD-UK » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi all,

Goy Bridgestone BT023's on, tread wear very good longevity. Don'y go too mad, warm up fairly quickly, and feel planted. Wet or dry, not done any track days on them, so can't comment. Have been recommended some Angel ST's for my a good alternative...

Might try the Angel ST's when these run out :smt002
My warranty is the clear/smoked tail lights around the corner!!

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

Re: Tyres...

#34 Post by D-Rider » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:15 pm

GregD-UK wrote:Hi all,

Goy Bridgestone BT023's on, tread wear very good longevity. Don'y go too mad, warm up fairly quickly, and feel planted. Wet or dry, not done any track days on them, so can't comment. Have been recommended some Angel ST's for my a good alternative...

I've got Angel STs on my OZ rims for touring work and the winter months - and they wear really well.
Good tyres - guess they'll be going back on soon as they are better in the wet than the Rosso Corsas I have for summer fun.

There are also the Angel GTs now - I've not looked at them but I guess they are worth thinking about.

The info here is helpful: http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motor ... alog.html#
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

SimonDk
Despatch Rider

#35 Post by SimonDk » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:11 am

The Angel GT won this summer's tyre test carried out by German magazines http://www.motorradonline.de/motorradre ... -17/457093

'00 Falco fire red w/35.000km. New to me in '12.

zoidberg
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

Re: Tyres...

#36 Post by zoidberg » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:36 am

GregD-UK wrote:Hi all,

I have 023 on and don't really like them. They move when getting a wriggle on, not enough to unnerve just never got any movement from similar power bikes on Pirelli.

I'll be putting on rosso corsas on my oz wheels when I finally get some.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#37 Post by D-Rider » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:36 pm

SimonDk wrote:The Angel GT won this summer's tyre test carried out by German magazines http://www.motorradonline.de/motorradre ... -17/457093

And for those who cope better in English, courtesy of Google Translate:
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... -17/457093

..... and yes, you can't do better than Pirelli - the Rosso Corsas clear winners of the PB sports tyre test and the Angels winning the Motorrad test (seems my choice of Rosso Corsas on my BSTs and the Angel ST (previous version of the GT) on my OZ rims is not a bad choice)
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#38 Post by MartDude » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:12 pm

MartDude wrote:Futura

Michelin Pilot Road 2

Done about 1200 miles on these. Good grip, especially on damp, slightly greasy roads - better than the Metzeler Z4 I had on the first Fut (still think they were implicated in the destruction of that bike). Seem to warm up reasonably quickly - again, better than the Metzelers.
The bike rolls over ever so easily - better than the Z4's.
They also cope well the Futura's extra weight.
Little sign of squaring-off as yet.

Was going to get Avon Storms, having been impressed with the Azaro's fitted when I bought the bike (though they seemed to square off sooner than expected). But the PR2s were on special offer, so decided to give them a try
Three years and four months on from the post above, and I've still got the same tyres. However, the rear is well-and-truly squared off now, but after over 10,000 miles, I can't complain. The front has now squared off a little, so I'll probably change both, rather than just the rear.

I haven't decided yet whether to stick with the PR2s (absolutely no complaints), upgrade to PR3's, or try something different, perhaps the Pirelli Angel GT. PR2 is the cheapest option, but the PR3 and Angel GT aren't massively more.
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

Cathcart
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#39 Post by Cathcart » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:36 pm

Anybody got anymore input on this subject?
Was going for rosso 2's but from doing some research I'm undecided between 2ct, rosso 2 and qualifier 2....

Also, that plug I put in my tyre is still holding strong!!! Not dropped much more pressure than expected from sitting for a while.
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life".
Marco Simoncelli.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#40 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:58 pm

To be honest, I'd say that any modern tyre will do the job really well. If you just look through here and see the range of tyres that people have enthused about - I've seen Pirelli, Bridgestone, Maxxis, Dunlop, Michelin, Avon, Metzeler and Continental praised. This tells me that modern tyres are pretty bloody good and you can just go with your preferred manufacturer and type of tyre and you'll be very happy.

blinkey501
World Champion

#41 Post by blinkey501 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:16 pm

No surprise you know I have more than one bike. I did Mallory last year 1000 bikes festival .
I was running Pirelli tyres on the magpie. They were better than the bridgestone BT021's.
I managed to put in a hot lap following one of our top riders. Tbh I pushed them more then I would normally dare. They didn't let me down.
I know that hisnibs was running a PR2 front and a PR3 rear. He thinks they excellent.
Pete has run the cheaper Maxis, Fair enough he is not a fast rider but he still thinks they are good tyres.
I honestly don't think there is any bad tyre. Well apart from the original Metzlers the bike came with.
Tolerance will be our undoing.

fatboy
World Champion

#42 Post by fatboy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:39 pm

I did all of last year on Maxxis Sport Tourers, fantastic grip and the rear lasted 14 months of the tyre killing torque that a falc delivers,lean angles to 10mm from the edge of the rear, totally at the edge on the front.
Just replaced the rear with Maxxis Diamond, very good so falr, better wet grip than the Tourers.
I wont be wearing out my toe sliders just yet, too cold, too wet,looking forward to hot tarmac !
My verdict,managed to increase my lean angle more than I would have thought possible, cant fault them at all.
the Diamond seems even better rear tyre than the Tourer, fast turn in.
IMHO a serious lot of tyre for your hard earned

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Cathcart
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#43 Post by Cathcart » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:50 pm

Most, if not all modern tyres are better than my capabilities. Its more the way it feels that I'm interested in, how quick the bike drops in or stability on heavy throttle openings etc. Read a lot about they maxxis, seem to get good write ups in most places! They look interesting.
"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life".
Marco Simoncelli.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#44 Post by D-Rider » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:43 pm

Cathcart wrote:Read a lot about they maxxis, seem to get good write ups in most places! They look interesting.
Most of what I've heard about maxxis isn't great.
I was thinking about them a while back but was put off by the stories of delamination (probably sorted by now).

More recently I've seen comparative tyre tests where they've tested them blind (no not riding with their eyes closed - just not knowing which tyres). The Maxxis scored significantly lower than the rest.
It's enough to keep me sticking with what I know.
-- Albert Einstein

slickliner6
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#45 Post by slickliner6 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 am

fatboy wrote:I did all of last year on Maxxis Sport Tourers, fantastic grip and the rear lasted 14 months of the tyre killing torque that a falc delivers,lean angles to 10mm from the edge of the rear, totally at the edge on the front.
Just replaced the rear with Maxxis Diamond, very good so falr, better wet grip than the Tourers.
I wont be wearing out my toe sliders just yet, too cold, too wet,looking forward to hot tarmac !
My verdict,managed to increase my lean angle more than I would have thought possible, cant fault them at all.
the Diamond seems even better rear tyre than the Tourer, fast turn in.
IMHO a serious lot of tyre for your hard earned

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
I got the diamonds on my busa,never let me down (fingers crossed i havent just jinxed myself)

(And not on the soles of my shoes.pmsl)
A day without a laugh is a day wasted.

we were so poor when i was growing up.Dad said "its a good job i was born a boy,at least id have something to play with" ;-)