Polishing Helmets

Looking to buy a new helmet, clothing or accessories? Ask for opinions and advice here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Polishing Helmets

#1 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:42 am

My initial response when I saw the thread title was 'fnarr, fnarr', but here's my sensible reply. I doubt that any polish on the market would cause any kind of adverse reaction to helmet strength, but without knowing the precise chemical composition of the polish in question it's not possible to give any guarantees.

Most good polishes will be based on carnauba wax, which should be fine. I suspect you're confusing polishing the helmet with re-spraying it in terms of adverse effects. Back in the day owners of helmets with plastic shells were advised against resprays as they could weaken the helmet. I believe that for all modern shell types that caution no longer applies, so simply polishing a helmet has zero risk.

fatboy
World Champion

Re: polishing helmets

#2 Post by fatboy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:21 am

You cant go wrong with a dedicated helmet and visor cleaning product, simples !
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

Ben
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer
Main bike: Kawasaki ZX-10R

#3 Post by Ben » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:00 am

Yep the lacquer of the lid isn't there to improve the crash protection so I don't see the issue with Autoglym.

I have used Mr Sheen on my lids (and bikes) for years. I can't say I've done any back to back tests to compare the crash resistance of a layer of Mr Sheen but it hasn't affected the lacquer (ie yellowed it or made it hazy) and it's immense at removing bugs and blobs of rubber. :smt023

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#4 Post by Firestarter » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:27 am

I've never felt the need...

Generally I'll wet a micro-fibre cloth and leave it over the lid & visor to soak any bugs, then buff them off with that. Never needed a dedicated cleaner
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

Wally
Despatch Rider

#5 Post by Wally » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:12 pm

I also have used Mr Sheen to clean the visor, helmet and all painted parts of the bikes for years with no ill effects.