Winter bike clothing

Looking to buy a new helmet, clothing or accessories? Ask for opinions and advice here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Gio
Double World Champion

Winter bike clothing

#1 Post by Gio » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:53 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm looking for jacket and trousers, they need to have removable lining, preferable they zip together and are also warm. I don't want the really expensive stuff like I had last time (Belstaff) as its not worth forking out £1k for the few times I ride in the winter.

I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Wally
Despatch Rider

#2 Post by Wally » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:14 pm

I have had some TUZO trousers and jacket, both have removable linings and both have stayed waterproof for three years but I have had to give them a dose of NikWax this year. Cost about £60 for trousers and £70 for jacket, both have some armour protection.

Got the trousers big enough to wear over the top of normal jeans and I have never been cold.

Have been really pleased for the price.

Wally

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#3 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:04 pm

I have a set of lidl textiles

Total cost was around 80 quid a few years ago

Well made, waterproof and have detachable linings

Probably missed them this year but - a very good buy imho

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#4 Post by Firestarter » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:09 pm

I've got some Wolf Outlast textiles (jacket and trousers), been well impressed. Happily survived a trip back from Aprilia Performance in February in the pissing rain, no leaks anywhere. Was impressed enough to buy the matching gloves, although I've not been happy with the fit, the waterproofing is as good on the gloves as the rest.

Both jacket and trousers have a zip-out lining, which I've recently put back in my jacket and it does make a difference on the temperature. Can't remember the prices, but I think they're a wee bit more than the Lidl stuff... (c£300 for the set IIRC)

There is a zip to join the two, but it's only 2/3, so water can get up the front a bit, so the only bit that has ever got wet is my stomach. I put this down to funnelling of water round my tank bag when commuting, not my stomach pressing between the jacket and trousers :smt005

This is my winter commuting gear, so it's used in all weathers repeatedly, not just the odd shower
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#5 Post by D-Rider » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:03 am

As someone who always bought for "value", I never spent that much on kit. The stuff was fine .... for a while .... but always started leaking in the end. Re-proofing with Nikwax helped but was never a solution for long.

With the last set I bought, I adopted a different purchasing policy and went for proper Goretex jobbies in Hein Gerrike's sale (think I got them half price) and they are absolutely brilliant (though I still need to get some Goretex gloves).
Of course that was before HG went bust and closed their stores ... but they are now back on line.
I'm not saying that HG is the place to go but that decent Goretex stuff in a half-price sale is still not cheap but it's well worth the cost.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Gio
Double World Champion

#6 Post by Gio » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:16 am

Thank you all, I'll see what I can find that fits my lanky frame and bit of a stomach (cough, cough)

Along with Firestarter I've had them recommended by my neighbour, but he says I might struggle size wise LOL.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

#7 Post by Firestarter » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:49 am

Gio wrote:Thank you all, I'll see what I can find that fits my lanky frame and bit of a stomach (cough, cough)

Along with Firestarter I've had them recommended by my neighbour, but he says I might struggle size wise LOL.
Hmm, yep if you're quite tall the jacket might be OK, but the trousers probably not. I've got one of the larger sizes, I'm 6' (so not hobbit dimensions) but they aren't very long and can be quite, ahem, restrictive. You won't be singing baritone with them on
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#8 Post by flatlander » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:45 am

Late to the party as always but I can definitely NOT recommend Akito. You may as well wear sponges and as for customer service there is none

HG have been ok for me as have Weiss do some decent legnth too. HG that is

Nikwax once on HG still ok slight seepage in the groin but that could be my age or their age as they are about 10 years old

The aprilia jacket I got of Andy (DR) does for most shorter distances in winter
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#9 Post by randomsquid » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:20 pm

flatlander wrote:Late to the party as always but I can definitely NOT recommend Akito. You may as well wear sponges and as for customer service there is none

HG have been ok for me as have Weiss do some decent legnth too. HG that is
Also late to the party but I've been wearing the same Weiss jacket all year for the last 5 years or so, if you've been on a ride with me I was wearing it. Still waterproof including the pockets but starting to look really tatty. Cost me 40 quid new old stock on fleabay.
Where ever I lay my hat.....

corsehf
Despatch Rider

#10 Post by corsehf » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:25 pm

Just thinking of renewing my gear for this winter.
My current gear (Rukka) is now 12 years old and getting tatty, the reflective panels have all but worn/washed off but it's still waterproof.
Not wanting to spend great figures this time around but still wanting decent stuff, what are the opinions on RST's Paragon suits??

Cheers

wayno
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#11 Post by wayno » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:15 am

Hein gericke are back trading in the UK, they have a shop in Lowestoft I think, but their mail order website is back up and running, their gear is usually good quality and reasonably priced (for the most part)
Pass me a hammer, a spanner and a cuppa

corsehf
Despatch Rider

#12 Post by corsehf » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:58 am

wayno wrote:Hein gericke are back trading in the UK, they have a shop in Lowestoft I think, but their mail order website is back up and running, their gear is usually good quality and reasonably priced (for the most part)
I used to visit the Hein Gericke shops in Birmingham & Dudley when they were open, yes good quality but Lowestoft is a bit far unless I'm going to Holland which I've not planned yet!!
Will have to see if they make the Motorcycle Live Show at the NEC.

Cheers for the input.

Gio
Double World Champion

#13 Post by Gio » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:29 am

Had a horrible time trying to get stuff that fits, I've now lost my paunch and so thought it'd be easier...................not so its even worse. Eventually went to one shop (can't remember where it was but in Lincolnshire) and wound up buying Rukka gear, alright its not cheap but it fits so well and it was nearly half price, so problem solved. it came with 6 year guarantee as well and its easy to clean and no dirty old nikwax to worry about either.

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#14 Post by Greg » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:06 pm

+1 for Lidl, although mine was one of their one piece suits over leathers. Never leaked until I fell off and ripped a hole in it, even then a bit of gaffer tape made it 100% again ...

corsehf
Despatch Rider

#15 Post by corsehf » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:52 pm

Gio wrote:Had a horrible time trying to get stuff that fits, I've now lost my paunch and so thought it'd be easier...................not so its even worse. Eventually went to one shop (can't remember where it was but in Lincolnshire) and wound up buying Rukka gear, alright its not cheap but it fits so well and it was nearly half price, so problem solved. it came with 6 year guarantee as well and its easy to clean and no dirty old nikwax to worry about either.

Can't fault my Rukka gear but after 12 years it's getting a bit tatty now and today's RTTW proved it's no longer waterproof!!