Pirelli Angel ST tyres

Looking to buy a new helmet, clothing or accessories? Ask for opinions and advice here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

spiderwheels
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

Pirelli Angel ST tyres

#1 Post by spiderwheels » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:32 pm

It's been a long while since I've bought sports bike tyres so I engaged warp factor Google and got reading. From the reviews I read, as a manufacturer as a whole, Pirelli seemed to be getting the most consistent favourable opinions on a wide variety of their tyres. In contrast Dunlop seemed very much in the love 'em or hate 'em camp.

I found a pair of Angel STs (with a 180 section rear) for £150 (excluding fitting).

I was due on the track in a few days but decided I'd still be spending most of my time on the road so a sports touring tyre was the the way to go.

I managed the obligatory 100 miles of running-in before turning up at the track although they felt fine straight out of the mould..

At the track they didn't give me any drama. But given all the race tyres around me on that day they never had a hope of keeping in touch - although neither did I as a rider and I was riding well within their limits.

Afterwards the surface of the rear tyre has a texture like orange peel (I don't know if that's good or bad) and both had plenty of rubber balled up at the edges.

Back to road riding and I haven't had any issues. The bike always feels planted and easy to turn. I got rained on coming down the A505 at 11pm last night and the only reason I slowed down was because I couldn't see the road through a wet visor. No reason to complain about the tyres though.

For the second track day I must have had my weetabix as I'd gone from nervous newbie to Rossi's long lost older cousin (in my head at least). Suffice to say the tyres kept everything sticky side down - even carrying a tiny bit of front brake into the start of some turns. There was one moment trying to chase the track-hire bike uphill out of a turn where the back broke away for an instant but it was just letting me know what was available. A sportier tyre would have given me more drive.

I'll report back on mileage when I've worn them out!

Grip all the way to the edge:

(image credit: Peter Wileman Photography)
Insert humourous comment here

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by D-Rider » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:58 pm

I've Angel STs on my OZ rims (Pirelli Rosso Corsa on my BSTs)

Love both sets of tyres - the STs are great in the wet, in the cold and for inability to wear them out - and they are pretty spot on everywhere else.

With the surface balling up, sounds like they were overheating a bit - probably due to running them a bit soft.

I hear in the Angel range, the newer GTs are even better.

As for the Rosso Corsas, PB has just done a (blind) comparative test and they walked all over the other sports-focussed road tyres.

Can't beat Pirelli :smt003
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

squadron Nero
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#3 Post by squadron Nero » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:49 pm

Nice report. I'll be getting a new set very shortly and after reading what seems like the entirety of the internet it was an easy decision to decide upon the Angel GTs.

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#4 Post by HisNibbs » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:52 pm

And a good excuse for the knee down shot ... :smt002
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

spiderwheels
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#5 Post by spiderwheels » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:26 pm

HisNibbs wrote:And a good excuse for the knee down shot ... :smt002
I have to entertain myself at work somehow....
Insert humourous comment here