Arai RX7 vs Quantum ST

Looking to buy a new helmet, clothing or accessories? Ask for opinions and advice here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Arai RX7 vs Quantum ST

#1 Post by Firestarter » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:15 pm

Tried on a couple of new lids yesterday to replace my ageing Shoei 1000, and found the Arai RX7 and Quantum pretty comfortable (once I'd got it on my head - think I cracked my neck at one point, very tight going on!). Plus the neck seems a bit higher than the Shoei, so the Arai's don't catch and rub on my collar (awkward when checking over my shoulder)

Anyone tried either? How noisy are they? Pretty tempted with the RX7, as I do like the extra cooling (which obviously trades with extra noise), but £200 is quite a bit of a difference for some extra vents and a stability wing
Aprilia SL1000 Falco '04 in Black & Red

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#2 Post by DavShill » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:31 am

I've had Arais for the last 20 years. My Astro J is now 8 years old and I've just bought a Quantum. Astro J is supremely comfy. The Quantum is lighter and has larger space around the ears which feels odd to me at the moment but I'll get used to it. I've tried Shoei, AGV, Schuberth, etc etc and they just don't suit the shape of my head.

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#3 Post by flatlander » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Think that lady bit says it all look at what suits your head first then apply common sense regarding the range on offer. Have a word with Mary dude he had a very nice arai 7 something which was just too small for my noggin

Had arai dissapointed with quality and lack of customer support when I had the tour x but that was when Phoenix imported them. Had to make several calls to holland to get it resolved. Took the first chance to get rid of it now have the shoei and very much likey. :)

Tried various others but the shoei was the best fit for me and had the removable pads to change size a bit
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by MartDude » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:05 pm

flatlander wrote: Have a word with Mart dude he had a very nice arai 7 something which was just too small for my noggin
It was an Arai Chaser; too tight over my temples; felt OK trying it on in the shop, but became excruciatingly painful after 40 minutes or so. The Arai Condor I'd had previously was a much more comfortable fit.

Similar experience with the Shoei Neotec I bought a couple of years ago, though not not quite as bad, and eased by fitting the next-size-thinner liner.

Also having similar issues with the Nexx piss-pot I've recently bought (to go with the California), though it seems to be easing a little now.

The Schuberth C2 (predecessor to the Neotec) was a more comfortable fit. Perhaps I've got a more Teutonic-shaped head.
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!