abba stand fitting kit

Looking to buy a new helmet, clothing or accessories? Ask for opinions and advice here.

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

slickliner6
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

abba stand fitting kit

#1 Post by slickliner6 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:43 pm

I might have just aquired a abba stand :smt020

any idea wheres the cheapest place to get a fitting kit from.

cheers

del. :smt016
A day without a laugh is a day wasted.

we were so poor when i was growing up.Dad said "its a good job i was born a boy,at least id have something to play with" ;-)

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#2 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:16 pm

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#3 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:30 pm

oh

i rang them as they show two kits for the falco - according to them, the swing arm mount changed in 2002/3

we had a good chat and i will chat with their tech person on friday as i am not aware of any change - and as i have both a very early model, and what was effectively one of the last 10 made, i would think even i would notice a difference.....

If i was ordering, I would go for the EARLY version

BUT - I would also buy the swing arm removal kit - http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=21

the stand is secure in normal use but if I do any major work - like pulling the rear wheel etc, i tend to use that method to lift the bike

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by D-Rider » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:oh

i rang them as they show two kits for the falco - according to them, the swing arm mount changed in 2002/3
I'm almost certain that's complete bollox .... but I'll allow for a small possibility for surprise.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

slickliner6
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#5 Post by slickliner6 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:20 am

Ta muchly. :smt016

we were so poor when i was growing up.Dad said "its a good job i was born a boy,at least id have something to play with" ;-)

slickliner6
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#6 Post by slickliner6 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:28 am

hhuummmmm it seems that at demon tweeks,theyre saying the same as abba,,,,,,,,,,

upto and including 2001,,,,kit #21
there after,,,,,kit #32

:smt017 :smt017

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by D-Rider » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:57 am

.... so what are the differences between the two kits then (other than 11 :smt003) ? bet both work in reality
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

slickliner6
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#8 Post by slickliner6 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:58 am

D-Rider wrote:.... so what are the differences between the two kits then? (bet both work in reality)

:smt017 :smt064 :smt102

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#9 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:12 pm

NFI

i will chat with the tech chap on friday

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

#10 Post by Falcopops » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Clearly the later kits were for the black framed models and non-apartheid versions

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#11 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:36 pm

Well

I now have the answer I think

One kit has two spindles that fit inside the swing arm pivot bolt

The other kit has one spindle that fits in nut end of the pivot bolt AND a cup that fits over the outer part of the bolt's other end

I see little difference in safety / security tbh

Oh - both kits fit on both falcos.....

davebms
Track Day Addict
Track Day Addict

#12 Post by davebms » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Falcopops wrote:Clearly the later kits were for the black framed models and non-apartheid versions
naaa my black frame falco is fine with triumph speed trip mounts :smt017
red and black v twin

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by D-Rider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:02 am

Aladinsaneuk wrote:Well

I now have the answer I think

One kit has two spindles that fit inside the swing arm pivot bolt

The other kit has one spindle that fits in nut end of the pivot bolt AND a cup that fits over the outer part of the bolt's other end

I see little difference in safety / security tbh

Oh - both kits fit on both falcos.....
Yeah - as expected, they modified (upgraded?) their kit to do the same job. Presumably some numpty took the date of introduction of the new kit as being specific to bikes from that date.

BTW I thought that the "Swedish Bucks Fizz" kits bolted to the footrest mounts which let you remove the swingarm (as they didn't pick up from the swingarm pivot)
:smt017

The more-robust ulti-pro lifts from the pivot. I thought that the only benefit the Abba had was that it was able to lift from a point other than the swingarm pivot.
-- Albert Einstein

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#14 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:17 am

The Swedish super group has a variety of different mountings and the swing arm removal kit - as linked above, offers they very faculty you describe

Do keep up - I know that you older bus pass waving coffin dodgers like too take your time but.....

Gio
Double World Champion

#15 Post by Gio » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:37 am

I have had my abba stand since 2001, i've yet to find any bike it won't fit. even my cousins 1962 Triumph Bonny
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"