Inevitability

Make your first post here!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

Inevitability

#1 Post by D-Rider » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:55 pm

With some jobs where you are having to use a screwdriver as a scraper - such as when removing stubborn grout/adhesive from the back of wall tiles that need to be put back up - that it it inevitable that you will stab yourself in the end of the thumb with said screwdriver.

Now that the blood has stopped leaking, it's time for medicinal alcohol ..... anyone wish to join me (in the alcohol - the thumb-stabbing is optional)

at least I'm still taking antibiotics for the infection from when I cut my leg (now on 5th week of pills) .... so that should stop this one from becoming infected.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

MartDude
Admin
Admin

#2 Post by MartDude » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:10 am

I'll have a drop of 'medicine' with you; I've done that more often than I should, as a 'professional' with hand tools

If you can find a way of justifying the cost, I'd strongly recommend one of these :

http://www.axminster.co.uk/fein-fein-fm ... rod784424/

They're worth every penny for jobs like that, and for many others. Bosch do a similar thing, and there are cheaper versions from lesser brands, but the Fein is really well-made - my first one lasted,IIRC seven years in an industrial environment. With the saw blades, they're brilliant for little trimming jobs, saving a lot of time & aching wrists
It flies sideways through time
It's an electric line
To your zodiac sign
I've got a Black and Silver Machine!

Samray
Double World Champion

#3 Post by Samray » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:52 am

Nice timing on the drink front, :smt001 and I agree with MartDude.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

#4 Post by Falcopops » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:01 am

Agreed Andy, I usually do it right after thinking "this could end in tears", so I'll have a pint of A+.

Mart, I've been considering one of these tools it seems too good to be true that it can "do it all", can it really?

blinkey501
World Champion

Re: Inevitability

#5 Post by blinkey501 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:52 am

D-Rider wrote:With some jobs where you are having to use a screwdriver as a scraper - such as when removing stubborn grout/adhesive from the back of wall tiles that need to be put back up - that it it inevitable that you will stab yourself in the end of the thumb with said screwdriver.

[/size]
Soak the tiles with adhesive on the back in water andy.
The adhesive will soften and be easier to remove :smt002
Tolerance will be our undoing.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by D-Rider » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:45 am

blinkey501 wrote:
D-Rider wrote:With some jobs where you are having to use a screwdriver as a scraper - such as when removing stubborn grout/adhesive from the back of wall tiles that need to be put back up - that it it inevitable that you will stab yourself in the end of the thumb with said screwdriver.

[/size]
Cheers Jay - I did think of doing that ..... but I didn't have that many to do so just got on with it straight away ...... after they were soaking up time because they were such a pain to do, I'd forgotten that they may have been better soaking up some water.

Mart - nice idea but can't justify for this job alone ..... in fact I can't think what tools I have ever spent that sort of money on
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Samray
Double World Champion

#7 Post by Samray » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:04 am

D-Rider wrote: Mart - nice idea but can't justify for this job alone ..... in fact I can't think what tools I have ever spent that sort of money on

Cheapies come in at £20-£30.

Gio
Double World Champion

#8 Post by Gio » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:12 am

D-Rider wrote:
blinkey501 wrote:

[/size]
Cheers Jay - I did think of doing that ..... but I didn't have that many to do so just got on with it straight away ...... after they were soaking up time because they were such a pain to do, I'd forgotten that they may have been better soaking up some water.

Mart - nice idea but can't justify for this job alone ..... in fact I can't think what tools I have ever spent that sort of money on
Not if its the usual crap that most people use (tile and grout) it'll stay stuck until doomsday.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by D-Rider » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:11 am

Samray wrote:
D-Rider wrote: Mart - nice idea but can't justify for this job alone ..... in fact I can't think what tools I have ever spent that sort of money on

Cheapies come in at £20-£30.

That's more like it ...... I bet Aldi or Lidl will come up trumps at some point
-- Albert Einstein

HowardQ
World Champion

#10 Post by HowardQ » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Some people should not be allowed to play with tools! :smt009
But I'll have a drink with you Andy!
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#11 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:21 pm

Why DIY when you can GSI?

Get Someone In

and pint of batemans please

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by D-Rider » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote:Why DIY when you can GSI?

Get Someone In

and pint of batemans please
1) Cost
2) I can normally do a better job

..... much the same as modifying and servicing the bike
-- Albert Einstein

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#13 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:09 pm

fair point andy

and so long as we have DIYers like you, us health care professionals will always have work....

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#14 Post by D-Rider » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:24 pm

I don't often hurt myself when working and never required medical assistance ...... I am quite competent ...... however, creative solutions sometimes require innovative use of things in a manner for which they weren't designed. As long as you predict the outcome of a failure in operation and deem it acceptable, no problem.

For this one, it was a potential result that I had foreseen but one I didn't care too much about - though obviously worked reasonably carefully to avoid as much as possible.

I'm sure the H&S Nazis would disagree - but that's even more reason to do it :smt003
-- Albert Einstein

Samray
Double World Champion

#15 Post by Samray » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:07 pm

D-Rider wrote: As long as you predict the outcome of a failure in operation and deem it acceptable, no problem.

For this one, it was a potential result that I had foreseen but one I didn't care too much about - though obviously worked reasonably carefully to avoid as much as possible.

I'm sure the H&S Nazis would disagree - but that's even more reason to do it :smt003
Bit like riding a bike then? :smt020