A day to celebrate the dark side!

Make your first post here!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

HowardQ
World Champion

A day to celebrate the dark side!

#1 Post by HowardQ » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:14 pm

The drinks are on the "dark side" today after a day for multi celebrations.
The MOT ran out during last week but I had given it a good going over, cleaned and lubed the chain and all levers etc then gave it a good clean and polish, (reckon it always helps if it looks well maintained and looked after).
Took it down to Pollards M/Cycles, a little local place, where I have been having bikes tested since my early days with things like my old Matchless 650, Norton, Triumph, BSA, Velocette etc.,
Strange how occasionally some things in life don’t change!
Got down there and there was a queue, with a 1995 CBR6, Monster 620 Dark, and a few others. None of them had seen a Falco before other than Roy the tester and he has always loved it, so everybody comments about how good it looks and how nice it is, whilst waiting to get tested.
The Lambretta before me fails on a dodgy back brake and I twitch a bit, but the Falco rear brake has been the best it has ever been since I fitted some better pads last year.
Finally Roy gets round to me and it flies through, as it always has done, even the EU headlight gets passed for the 6th time!
A really nice Kwack Z1 rolls up just as I am backing the bike out and attracts some attention, but as I start up and drive away attention goes back to the Dark side again as I ride off up the road, (these cans might be road legal but they’re bloody loud!).
Call at the small Co-op supermarket to use the cash machine on the way home. Whilst I’m getting the cash, two blokes in their 30s get out of a really nice BMW Coupe and stand round looking at the bike, going over everything. One bloke in a Suzuki T Shirt says that’s really nice mate, is it one of the new Aprilias, the RSV4. No I says it’s just a Falco.
What’s that then, never seen one before, looks brilliant. Thought it was the new V4 because of the decal, what’s this mean then, points to the Bicilindrico V60. So I explain it means it’s a 60 degree V twin like a RSV Mille. He walks round and looks at the number plate, “It’s a Y reg then, looks feckin brilliant for a Y reg, looks as good if not better than my 2009 Gixxer 750, great bike, never seen one before".
The Dark Side is starting to get a Fire Red glow by now, rather than the normal Black Crow.
He makes a few more comments then goes back to the bimmer and I let him reverse back out in front of me. He drives round the big roundabout/flower bed on the way out with him and his mate hanging out of each side so they can here the exhaust as they drive out with me following. They go the other way, (thankfully!), I go home and drop off the MOT paperwork, and off I go for a run down through Ollerton and Newark, the bike is running great and I’m enjoying it, drive on up through Gainsborough then head out to Willingham Woods. The Falco finally clocks up 30K miles as I drive through Caenby Corner on route for Caistor. So we need to celebrate that as well. Now off we go down Caistor High Road, don’t know who loves it most the Dark Side or me. Great run down to Willingham. Only have time to stop for a pee as need to get back home, there are a few RSVs and Tuonos around, but as I ride out I spot a Falco, another one from the dark side, (nice touch today), it's a very tidy one on metallic blue wheels. Nobody near it so off I go.
Had a great run, really enjoyed it. Just a couple of other things, the Falco was nine years old a few days ago, I will have had it 6 years in a few days, so two more things to celebrate.
Still love that bloody bike!
So all the drinks are on me!
Last edited by HowardQ on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

Samray
Double World Champion

#2 Post by Samray » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Cheers Howard. :smt003 Glad you had a good'n.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by Kwackerz » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:40 pm

:smt001 Nice little story that :smt003

Bottle of Savannah please!
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

paddyz1
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#4 Post by paddyz1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:32 am

Nice one. I will have two large bottles of Southern Comfort as punishment for saying "it's just a Falco" :smt003

Willopotomas
GP Racer
GP Racer

#5 Post by Willopotomas » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Can't wait to get mine.. T minus 7 days and counting! :smt003
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handle bars to the saddle.

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#6 Post by DavShill » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:40 pm

I'll drink to that Howard - Black Sheep please.

Falken
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#7 Post by Falken » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:12 pm

:smt001
The RSV4 must be getting common.
I've seen more round here than Falco's.
Well i've seen two in the last week, and only one Falco.
Good write up Howard, i'll have a pint of The Old Peculiar please.
Adventure before Dementia.

HowardQ
World Champion

#8 Post by HowardQ » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:05 pm

You're all welcome!
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P