Another New Boy

Make your first post here!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

bigjel
Despatch Rider

Another New Boy

#1 Post by bigjel » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:26 pm

Hello Guy 'n' Galls :smt006

Found this site while trawling the interweb looking for Falco info, as I'm hoping to buy one in the new year, currently don't have a bike having sold both my '04' Blade and trackday ZXR recently..

Thought i'd drop in and say Hi.

Jel

HowardQ
World Champion

#2 Post by HowardQ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:58 pm

Hello Jel, and welcome to the site, :smt006 seems a bit of an unusual change to swap an 04 Blade and a track Kwack for a Falco, but you'll find lots of people on here who will agree with you! The Falco is a great bike for real roads and that V Twin torque is really special. Have had mine for 3 1/2 years and still think it's the best bike I've had in more than 40 years.
Also been almost totally reliable over nearly 20K miles, even better than my CBR and that is good.
Like most other bikes there are lots of things you can do with a Falco to personalise/improve it, and there are plenty of people here who will help you spend your money at a later date. Main mods are - Race cans, (essential for the sound as well as performance), improved induction, belly pans, rear huggers, maybe a rear shock change and one thing to be aware of straight away is that Aprilia side stands are pretty crap. More info. available on the site if you need it or just get back on here for more advice when you get the bike.

Just a final comment, it will feel very different after the usual IL4 Jap bikes, it took me about a month to really get used to it, you do tend to ride it more on the torque, rather than screaming the nuts off it, but from about 7k upwards it will scream out to the red line at 10,500 ish pretty quick for a V Twin.
Good look with your search.
Last edited by HowardQ on Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samray
Double World Champion

#3 Post by Samray » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:12 pm

Welcome aboard bigjel. :smt001

FlyingKiwi
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#4 Post by FlyingKiwi » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:38 pm

Hi Bigjel and welcome.
I too will be after another falco in the new year after having my last one written of by a blue van man :smt067
And since I'm off the antibiotics I'll have a pint of dogbolter please :smt003

Fausto
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#5 Post by Fausto » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:56 pm

How Do bigjel ?

Go ahead and buy one - you'll love it. As Howard says it may take a bit of getting used to but once you 'get it' you'll be a very happy bunny indeed.

Oh and seeing as this is the bar and it's that time of year......

I'll have a pint of Adnams Yuletide please :smt003

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by D-Rider » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:23 pm

Welcome Bigjel
I'm another Falco rider - as are a lot of us here. Unsurprisingly you're not going to hear many bad words about the Falco on the forum - because those of us that have them think they are an excellent bike.
That doesn't mean they are perfect and there is nothing to sort out (sidestand, OEM tyres and rear shock to name the worst) but these are details compared to the pleasure we get from them.

Hope you find a nice one soon. :smt003

There's also a lot of info and knowledge on the forum and people are always ready to help.

Pierre
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#7 Post by Pierre » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:49 pm

Welcome :smt001

Mind you, if youve sold a blade and a trackbike then you'll probably be after a 'new' falco and they only come in muddy brown :smt012

I cant help it, I never know what to say to hello posts

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#8 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:57 pm

welcome

falco is best bike i have ever had - as in the most complete all round tool bar none :)

they do crop occassionally for sale but it is worth it to wait for a good one..... having said that, they all seem good

lots of mods you can do.....

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by D-Rider » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:28 pm

Aladinsaneuk wrote: lots of mods you can do.....
:smt018
I've told you before - leave us Mods alone!

We get over the threat of wholesale burnings and now you're out to get us again.

:smt090

FlyingKiwi
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#10 Post by FlyingKiwi » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:58 pm

D-Rider wrote:

We get over the threat of wholesale burnings and now you're out to get us again.

:smt090
Hmmmm, it is quite nippy, A burning would go down well :smt003

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by Kwackerz » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:55 am

Welcome BigJel.

Been busy of late so not been around the site as much (hence missing your arrival)

Mine's a Spitfire while yer in the Bar! Cheers
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

bigjel
Despatch Rider

Hello All

#12 Post by bigjel » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:24 am

Thank you all for the warm welcome, :smt003

Yes i think the Falco will be change from my usual bikes, but as much as i loved my '04' Blade is wasn't really made for long distance comfort, and hence the need for something a little more forgiving on my ageing back and wrists.

I thought about the usual suspects, blackbird, vfr, etc, etc but Fancied something a bit different and the Falco caught my eye, due in part to the excellent review it got in rider power this year, and I'm really looking forward to getting one... :smt023

I've been doing quite a bit of reading up, so i think the first thing is to make sure the side stand is ok, when i eventually manage to find one that isn't 200 miles away, and 20, thousand miles+

Any hoo.... it's nice to have found a frindly place to talk Falco's and other bikey 'stuff'

Cheers All,

Drinks all round then.... :smt023

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#13 Post by Kwackerz » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:13 pm

Just added you to the Aprilia Usergroup. should have more 'Prilly stuff on show now
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

bigjel
Despatch Rider

#14 Post by bigjel » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:21 pm

Thank you Kwackerz

joecrx
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#15 Post by joecrx » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:24 pm

welcome bigjel , better get another round in ,i drink like a fish ,

i would recomend a new mpl clutch slave its a bit lighter onthe hand , good for round town,

oh !! and the red ones are that little bit faster :smt007