Make your first post here!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

pawelek_w
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider

insurance question about provisional license

#1 Post by pawelek_w » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:58 pm

Hi All,
My question is about insurance and motorcycle driving licence that is required to provide in the forms (like confused.com quotes etc). I have a cbt and motorcycle theory exam passed so far and holding full car driving licence for about 15years. In insurance forms I need to provide what motorcycle driving license I do have. So here is a question: what motorcycle driving licence do I hold if DVLA replied that they cannot issue provisional driving licence as I already have driving licence?
I'm very new to motorcycle and about to buy first 125cc to practice before heading for A licence. Asked on confused.com but still waiting for their response.
Thanks

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

Re: insurance question about provisional license

#2 Post by mangocrazy » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:50 pm

It's my understanding that a full car licence acts as a provisional licence for motor bikes. So I would state that you have a provisional motorcycle licence, as that is effectively what your car licence provides. It might be worth checking on the gov.uk site for more information:

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving

And welcome!

pawelek_w
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider

#3 Post by pawelek_w » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:45 pm

Thank you mangocrazy. That has a lot of sense. I also had a call today with 'Vast Visibility' (insurance company behind confused.com) and they confirmed that car driving licence acts as provisional one for motorbikes so this what I should select in the form. Further in form there is also place to add information about my car licence so they have clarity about what rights do I have to ride motorcycle.

Thanks again for coming back to me.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by mangocrazy » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:36 am

Good stuff - glad you got it all sorted out to your (and the insurance company's) satisfaction.