Well, it has been a while.

Make your first post here!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Highside
Despatch Rider

Well, it has been a while.

#1 Post by Highside » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:10 am

Hi all, another returnee from days gone by.
I received the e:mail digest and thought I would pop in and say ‘hi.’

I had to step away from riding for a few years due to ill health, riding only to the mot centre and back each year, and as I couldn’t ride I lost all interest in bikes and biking.
I have noticed that I am not the only one here to experience health problems and I wish you all the best.

Last year I returned to riding, although I don’t really get the use that I did pre-illness.
I still have my old 95 Speed Triple, but that is more of a project these days and I am riding a VFR 800 Gen 6.

So, I will say ‘Hi’ to those who remember me, and well met to those who don’t know me.
🙂

Gio
Double World Champion

Re: Well, it has been a while.

#2 Post by Gio » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:57 pm

Hello Highside, Sorry to hear you're suffering health problems as well, but glad you're back on a bike.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

yello
Despatch Rider
Main bike: Sorry, it's a Dullville

#3 Post by yello » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:07 am

'Hi' back atcha hs. What with you and Burty both checking in, this place is becoming a real 'blast from the past' experience.

I'm getting confused though. Wasn't there an SV650 site prior to RiderSite? I might be remembering names from there.

Highside
Despatch Rider

#4 Post by Highside » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:40 am

There was an SV650 site, that ran parallel to this one with a number of its members also members of RS, although I believe it was started after RS. However, Hammy and Jake formed RS after a lot of us became tired of Bikenet. Then if you go right back, there was Motorcycleworld(?) but the only people I remember from there are myself and Oma, it was a really long time ago.

yello
Despatch Rider

#5 Post by yello » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:58 am

Thanks hs. My memory is sketchy. I blame old age. I don't recall bikenet, so probably wasn't on it, and definitely don't remember anything like Motorcycleword. I think I probably started on the SV650 site and moved over to RS. I knew Hammy had a hand in both. Anyways, kinda nice to reminisce etc. It does seem ages ago now, another life even.

Cripes, I remember doing trackdays back then but today, well there's not a shred of interest left in me for that now.

Gio
Double World Champion

#6 Post by Gio » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:57 am

yello wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:58 am
Thanks hs. My memory is sketchy. I blame old age. I don't recall bikenet, so probably wasn't on it, and definitely don't remember anything like Motorcycleword. I think I probably started on the SV650 site and moved over to RS. I knew Hammy had a hand in both. Anyways, kinda nice to reminisce etc. It does seem ages ago now, another life even.

Cripes, I remember doing trackdays back then but today, well there's not a shred of interest left in me for that now.
Buy a project bike, preferably one from before '75, restore to original trim then enter the classic track parades. :smt003
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

yello
Despatch Rider

#7 Post by yello » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:23 am

Gio wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:57 am
Buy a project bike, preferably one from before '75, restore to original trim then enter the classic track parades. :smt003
Well, I do have a soft spot for the TRX850... not pre 1975 granted but I think it's a classic.

Highside
Despatch Rider

#8 Post by Highside » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:36 am

I think Burty was looking to sell his one at some point.

yello
Despatch Rider

#9 Post by yello » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:46 am

I don't think I knew he had one! I think the first one I saw was on a trackday (one of the instructors had one) and I thought it was something quite special.

Vine
Pizza Delivery Rider
Pizza Delivery Rider
Main bike: Ex SV650S Owner

#10 Post by Vine » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:41 pm

yello wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:07 am
'Hi' back atcha hs. What with you and Burty both checking in, this place is becoming a real 'blast from the past' experience.

I'm getting confused though. Wasn't there an SV650 site prior to RiderSite? I might be remembering names from there.
Hey Yello, SV650.org is still running however, with the introduction of social media, its a limited affair nowadays. I pop in i think about once a year and now that i no longer have Doris the SV (Sold earlier this year after 19 years of ownership) i dont need to. :)

I remember meeting up with bunch of reprobates (Most of them i still do) form RS and The Org.
AFKA Vineil/Viney
Ex SV650 Owner as of this year.

Gio
Double World Champion

#11 Post by Gio » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:54 pm

Hello Viney, welcome back.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:36 pm

I've been a regular on RS since 2008 and this is making me feel like a newbie... :smt003

Gio
Double World Champion

#13 Post by Gio » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:04 am

mangocrazy wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:36 pm
I've been a regular on RS since 2008 and this is making me feel like a newbie... :smt003
Mate we are all newbies in this world, there's always something that comes along to jog us up a :smt001 bit

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#14 Post by BikerGran » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:59 pm

Hi HS and Viney, I'm still here, not riding due to two arthritic hips but they've been replaced now. In the meantime I went to the darkside and now I drive a VW campervan. I'm sometimes tempted to try riding again (only problem, no bike or trike) but I'm not sure I could be lured away from the comfort of being warm and dry and not having to mess about with a tent!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Highside
Despatch Rider

#15 Post by Highside » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:40 pm

Hi BG, good to hear from you.
Nowt wrong with a camper van, often look at them myself now that the girls are no longer in tow. I think it would get more use than the bike does too.