Taking the Falco to Europe

Make your first post here!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Just Brian
Despatch Rider

Taking the Falco to Europe

#1 Post by Just Brian » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Can anyone tell me if there's anything I need to do to the Falco before taking it to Belgium, France, Germany Switzerland, Austria and Italy. It's all
standard apart from raised bars and Motad end cans with removable Baffle. ps Hope i'am posting in the right place. :smt017
If it's not done today , there's always tomorrow.

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#2 Post by Greg » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:40 pm

I've never done anything to my bikes and have been ok.. I've heard that the Swiss police can get a bit arsey about non OE lights such as retro-fit HIDs and the rozzers in Monaco don't really like loud pipes, but I've never had any problems..
You don't get a warm-up lap for life...

Just Brian
Despatch Rider

falco in Europe

#3 Post by Just Brian » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Hi Greg , Yes I've heard about the Swiss. Don't think they like anything other than standard. Took my Triumph 1050 speed triple to watch moto gp in Cataluña in 2009 with Remus end can through France/Spain with no problems, Also went to the first B.S.B at Assen and ventured into Germany with no problems, Think I will put the db killers in the end cans to make sure. Cheers.
If it's not done today , there's always tomorrow.

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:12 pm

Take all your documents with you is the main thing. There are a lot of things to be aware of in France in a car, like warning triangles, hi-vis vests for if you break down, first aid kit etc, but I'm not sure how many of those apply to bikes. A high-vis vest takes up no space and Aldi/Lidl often have biker first aid kits that pack away small, so look out for their special buys.

There was a big thing about carrying breathalyser kits, but I think the French government have quietly forgotten about that. Not sure if it's still true, but on my first two-wheeled visit to Spain in the 80s I got stopped by a ferocious looking cop with a gun on his belt. He just pointed at my headlight and said 'con luz' quite heatedly. I left my headlight on day and night after that...

Gio
Double World Champion

#5 Post by Gio » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 pm

mangocrazy wrote:Take all your documents with you is the main thing. There are a lot of things to be aware of in France in a car, like warning triangles, hi-vis vests for if you break down, first aid kit etc, but I'm not sure how many of those apply to bikes. A high-vis vest takes up no space and Aldi/Lidl often have biker first aid kits that pack away small, so look out for their special buys.

There was a big thing about carrying breathalyser kits, but I think the French government have quietly forgotten about that. Not sure if it's still true, but on my first two-wheeled visit to Spain in the 80s I got stopped by a ferocious looking cop with a gun on his belt. He just pointed at my headlight and said 'con luz' quite heatedly. I left my headlight on day and night after that...
All apply as far as regs go, you also need 2 breathalyzers, if plod catches you without it its on the spot fines.
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#6 Post by Greg » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 pm

No fine anymore ...

Gio
Double World Champion

#7 Post by Gio » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:17 pm

Greg wrote:No fine anymore ...
When did they change that, I was told before we last went (10 months ago).
I hate it when people ask if you have a bathroom, I want to say "No we pee in the garden"

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#8 Post by BikerGran » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:31 pm

There's been a lot of confusion about that breathalyser thing - in fact they never actually brought the fine in.

Yes take all your docs but make sure you leave copies of them at home with someone you can contact - just in case!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Greg
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#9 Post by Greg » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:16 pm

The fine was €11.00 as far as I recall, but it was universally reviled by both the people and the Gendarmerie.. hence its on their statute, but politically ignored.