New Member Post

Make your first post here!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

redleader
Despatch Rider

New Member Post

#1 Post by redleader » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just noticed I should have posted here first.

I'm not currently an Aprilia rider, although I have always admired them. However, I am looking for one as my next bike.

I've posted on the Falco forum already as this is what I'm considering. I love the RSVs but am thinking that they're maybe too focused for the type or riding I do. I've found the site very useful so far.

I'm currently riding a 2013 Street Triple R and have been riding Triumphs only up until now.

Cheers.

fatboy
World Champion

#2 Post by fatboy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:00 pm

I guess the only way to satisfy your curiosity is to try and compare the family, RSV, Falco, Tuono and see what suits you sir !

It does not matter what you ride, if you enjoy riding it then this is the place for you.
He does not like to brag about it but Flatlander rides a pink Honda Melody
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#3 Post by D-Rider » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:16 am

Hi and welcome to Ridersite.

Although we have a lot of Aprilias - especially Falcos, you are welcome whatever you ride.

:smt006
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

blinkey501
World Champion

#4 Post by blinkey501 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:53 am

The mille is very focussed.
I have one. You need to be hitting at least 85mph for the weight off your wrists to subside.
Still a great bike though.
Tolerance will be our undoing.

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#5 Post by flatlander » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:45 pm

fatboy wrote:I guess the only way to satisfy your curiosity is to try and compare the family, RSV, Falco, Tuono and see what suits you sir !

It does not matter what you ride, if you enjoy riding it then this is the place for you.
He does not like to brag about it but Flatlander rides a pink Honda Melody
I am thinking if getting a blue and white sparkle rim job done .... make of that what you will :smt008 :smt004
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

redleader
Despatch Rider

#6 Post by redleader » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks for the replies. I kind of guessed the Mille would maybe be a tad focused for me from the reviews, hence the lean towards a Falco.

I rode a mate's s1000rr and that only started to make sense at high speed. That's really the only full-on sports bike I've ridden.

I had thought about raising the bars slightly on an RSV and maybe softening the suspension to make it better for the road because I really like the looks of the bike and the full fairing but then I think perhaps that's kind of working against the design of the bike. (I was thinking gen 2 due the slightly lower seat height).

I ride with a pillion quite a lot and I'm guessing the Falco is the better machine for 2 up?

fatboy
World Champion

#7 Post by fatboy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:20 pm

I think you will find that all the Aprilia V twins make sense as soon as you open the throttle :smt002
No such thing as waiting for peak power, standstill, moving, bonkers, more bonkers, lunacy, change gear and repeat...
things smooth out a bit between 5th and 6th.

Flatlander, I hope the sparkly rim job works out for you !
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

mangocrazy
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by mangocrazy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi redleader, my wife and I went on a round trip to the South of France and back, and the Falco did a great job. It's a very, very capable pillion machine while still having that sports bike feel. And the riding position is fine for extended time in the saddle. The only caveat I'd make is to check what shock is fitted. With the OE blue spring Sachs fitted we couldn't do much more than 50 miles before needing a break. With a yellow spring Sachs or Ohlins it was all-day comfortable.

Here's what I posted up about our trip:

https://www.ridersite.com/viewtopic.php?t=6818

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#9 Post by BikerGran » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Hey Red - you know you don't HAVE to have an Aprilia? Cos this is RiderSite NOT Apriliaridersite!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

redleader
Despatch Rider

#10 Post by redleader » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:32 pm

Thanks Bikergran. I'm not dead set on an Aprilia and am open to other brands. That said, researching them brought me here.

Triumph was my first port of call, being a fan of their naked bikes but 'sporty' sports tourers seem limited to the ST and I'm not a huge fan of the styling. If there are other hidden gems out there that fit the bill I'd be interested to hear about them.

I appreciate the feedback Mangocrazy. That's just the info I was looking for. The pillion touring potential certainly sounds promising. I'll read your post. Thanks.

I do like the sound of a V twin and the torque sounds like a lot of fun.