Charge your Glasses Please

Make your first post here!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

Charge your Glasses Please

#1 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:12 am

Yesterday evening I received a text from Tim:
Hi mate. Just to let you know, mum and i are at dads bedside tonight.
Its the 'close family' stage and they dont foresee him making tomorrow.
Ill have a side bet that he will last til saturday whereupon hell be at the rally in spirit.
Im sure thats his plan as nowt in his diary past that! The rideout isnt a good idea now unless you wish to take them down the 1066 as he loved that road hooning on the bike or pulham bk roads to snetterton, another of his little blasts..
Feel free to pass on to the forum and ill keep you updated.

Going back inside now.

MucHo love,

kwacks
and half past three this morning I received a PM:
Phil passed away at 1.45am peacefully in his sleep with Mum sat by his side. Bloody git'd do anything to make me lose a bet! Daft sod, I said Saturday not bloody Friday!

He will be attending the rally in some form, I know he will be with you guys as he's not one to miss an RS Rally, far from it. If I get a chance I will nip down but i foresee having to tend to the family so wont be able to make it.
Please send my Dad's love to all. He has had some wonderful times with RiderSite, especially at the rallies and would expect much pisstaking, laughter and drunkeness..

Regards
A quite happy and relieved
kwacks
So

Phil, or Samray as many knew him has been his typical bloody prompt self and gone to the meet early - I am willing to bet that he is contemplating strimming bits of grass while he has a baccy....

I knew how much he valued the forum, and the people from it - we chatted a bit over the last few weeks - and the impish smile was there - and i reckon he was still taking the piss in many many ways.....

The norfolk meet will, of course go on - and may I suggest that we have a little bit of a celebration?

Phil, where ever you may be - Here's Mud in your Eye!

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

Falcopops
GP Racer
GP Racer

#2 Post by Falcopops » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:59 am

Got a beer in my hand right now and raising it in Sam's memory.

blinkey501
World Champion

#3 Post by blinkey501 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:16 am

Raising my glass right now.... Words for tim..... I am really sorry for your loss.....I have not met phil but a lot of nice things have been told to me about him.
It sounds to me he was a special guy :smt002
Tolerance will be our undoing.

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#4 Post by DavShill » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:22 am

God bless Samray and all his loving family. I had the good fortune to meet him this weekend last year - It was a pleasure to spend time with him a lovely gentle and funny man. Tim our thoughts and best wishes go to you and your family.

We'll have drink or two with all his forum friends this weekend.

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#5 Post by BikerGran » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:19 am

Don't know whether to say I'm sorry or glad - re-read one of Sam's early posts about his diagnosis the other night, worth posting here I think.
I came to terms with my own mortality many decades ago and have probably squeezed a century's living into the time I have had so no complaints.
I guess I'm saying that on this occasion, selfish (and trite) as it may be, I'm celebrating a life far more than worrying about a death. Very few regrets.

Thanks for your kind thoughts, but don't be sad.
Skipped out before I could cry all over you Sam!

Damn I loved that man!

:smt006
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

furygan man
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#6 Post by furygan man » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:20 am

Sad news, consider a glass raised tonight :smt006

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by D-Rider » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:24 am

Yes I received news from Tim too and have replied but I would like to say to everyone this is a sad loss to us all - you honestly couldn't wish to find a nicer guy than Samray.

Very glad he doesn't have to suffer any longer but know Tim and his family will be feeling a great loss - and I know we will too.

I expect many a glass of JD to be raised in his honour this weekend.

Sam - Thanks for everything - we'll miss you.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by Kwackerz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:36 am

I think the shock of Jack Daniels adding Honey to JD and then having the gall to sell it put him over the edge.. as many will know he used to get rather irate at the thought of adding anything to a glass of JD.. even ice was frowned at. :smt002

In JD's defence it is quite nice.. :smt030

Quite a different day today, very quiet and a whole new experience for both Mum and I.

Sam had a lovely day's weather yesterday, a lovely clear starry night last night and another bright sunny day today. A fitting bout of weather for someone who brought sunshine into many lives over the years.

For those going to the rally, please do celebrate. It's what he would've wanted.. but you know that already. :smt002

Keep safe and remember, the price of JD will rise soon; The Angel's share will probably be about 5% now, not 2% as before :smt002

http://distantthunderwhiskyclub.blogspo ... ingle.html

Thanks for all the thoughts and kind words from all, very kind and much appreciated :smt001
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

Jadaris
Malteaser

#9 Post by Jadaris » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:06 am

He will be deeply missed and I'm so pleased I got to see him to take him his medicine of JD :smt002 the thing is the cheeky bugger was on top form and continued to take the preverbal piss out of me :smt017

Laters chap, will raise a glass for you :smt006

Hammy
Admin
Admin

#10 Post by Hammy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:23 am

Deeply saddened by this news.

This place, in particular, owe's everything to the spirit which Sam personified. I am a better man for knowing him and the world is a lesser place without him. My thoughts are with his family.

In the style I know I he would insist on - I will raise a glass of JD to him tonight and celebrate his life, not his passing.

Save me a seat Sam.

:smt002
Support RiderSite!

Syltiz
Chaos Merchant

#11 Post by Syltiz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:24 am

Condolences to the family and congrats to Phil on a good life. I will do my bit and raise a glass of JD

XJR Jason
Despatch Rider

#12 Post by XJR Jason » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:59 am

Having just finished loading the bike to come and say Hi, and catch up this weekend, I missed him!

Still coming and I'll just have to have big JD in you honour

RIP Samray ......

randomsquid
Wear the Fox Hat

#13 Post by randomsquid » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:52 pm

I only met him once but it was clear he was one of the world's genuinely nice guys. I'll raise a glass this evening.
RIP Samray, and condolences to Tim and the family.
Where ever I lay my hat.....

slickliner6
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#14 Post by slickliner6 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:55 pm

i never had the pleasure of meeting the chap,but by all accounts im the one who has missed out(by not having the pleasure of meeting him).everyone seems to have a good word to say about him.
There arent many people in this world who could command such respect from so many people.

RIP fella,,,,,,and cheers
A day without a laugh is a day wasted.

we were so poor when i was growing up.Dad said "its a good job i was born a boy,at least id have something to play with" ;-)

Willopotomas
GP Racer
GP Racer

#15 Post by Willopotomas » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Here's to you Sam. You go on to meet some brilliant people who have made the final journey over the years. If you bump in to my old mate Dig, tell him Will says hi and to get a bloody round in! :smt006

Popped to the shop on the way home from work and bought myself a small bottle of JD. I'm not a fan of the stuff, but it's a small chore to the memory an amazing character.

Peace be with you. :smt002
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handle bars to the saddle.