Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

Raise a glass if you will

#1 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:01 pm

I cannot say I was that enthused before

But

I really have enjoyed the London Olympics - plaudits to all responsible

And yes, I am proud of Great Britain

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

fatboy
World Champion

#2 Post by fatboy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Must admit that I was highly cynical to begin with but after watching some of the headline grabbers.... hooked!
I therefore raise my glass !
Cleverly disguised as an adult !

DavShill
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#3 Post by DavShill » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Cheers GB - a great fortnight of amazing competition.

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by D-Rider » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Yes, it's been excellent. Sure the media still tend to prioritise their favourites over some of the real achievers but that doesn't take away from the fact that it has been great!

Shame it's over .... until the Paralympics ..... that's the one where they do all of the events after jumping out of a plane isn't it?

:smt017 :smt002
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

flatlander
Eprom Test Pilot (Stig)

#5 Post by flatlander » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:35 pm

hrmpphhhh :smt018 Olympics bah humbug
For the avoidance of doubt and for the benefit of my wife, not everything I may say here will be absolutely true I may on ocassion embellish a little for effect.
That said when it comes to motorbikes, I like to ride side saddle with a nice frock

robbier6
Clubman Racer
Clubman Racer

#6 Post by robbier6 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:17 am

Have to agree with flatlander on this :smt003 but i have huge respect for all the athletes that dedicated themselves to something as boring as athletics or gymnastics, or any of the none sitting down sports

k1w1boy
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#7 Post by k1w1boy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:46 am

...cheers! Really enjoyed it. :smt006

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#8 Post by BikerGran » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:09 pm

I'll raise a glass to all the competitors, in every sport, who were good enough to qualify for the competitions, whether or not they won medals in the end. Have to respect their dedication.
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#9 Post by Kwackerz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:31 pm

With all the kerfuffle leading up to it on my side of the fence, did it make it justifiably worthwhile..? meeh.. Once the legacy deals have been put in place and are up and running maybe (theyre already offering the olympic housing to forces (and other) housing agencies which will recoup some dosh) but I do think it was a heck of a chunk spent out of the Government coffers that couldve been dealt with a lot better and cheaper.. it weren't cheap in the slightest and they wont have broke even, even if they did charge 2.50 for a bottle of coke all over the Olympic park..

As for the actual games themselves they were brilliant, the opening ceremony and torch bearing, the games themselves (regardless of finishing position for GB) and the closing ceremony were all outstanding and a good testament to how good modern day world is (when they put aside religion and politics)

Yeah Ill raise a glass.. one of my limited edition Maccy D olympics ones.. :smt002
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

HowardQ
World Champion

#10 Post by HowardQ » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:58 pm

The Olympics were great, much better than I expeted in every way.
The few cock ups all came before they started, like the empty seats etc., but they seemed to eventually get around this.
There were so many outstanding performances in so may areas, Mo and Jess were the best for me, but so many others came close.
Also quite nice that Yorkshire got more gold medals than many countries!
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#11 Post by BikerGran » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:55 pm

We'll draw a veil over the awfulness of the BBC commentators of course...................
:smt009

Kwackerz
Admin
Admin

#12 Post by Kwackerz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:58 pm

Especially that sodding one who interrupted the jamaicans standing for their national anthem to grab a chat. bloody rude disrespectful blithering idiot
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#13 Post by BikerGran » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:02 pm

I might make an exception for Clare Balding who does tend to know what she's talking about............

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#14 Post by D-Rider » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:31 pm

BikerGran wrote:We'll draw a veil over the awfulness of the BBC commentators of course...................
:smt009
Most of the commentators were OK - it was the interviewers that wound me up. Some question to everyone interviewed - and that same question asked a minimum of 3 ways.

Yes Tim that trackside interviewer was the worst and the bit where the Jamaican athletes wanted to stand respectfully for David Rudisha's anthem was the worst bit of all.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#15 Post by D-Rider » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:32 pm

BikerGran wrote:I might make an exception for Clare Balding who does tend to know what she's talking about............
Though only on a limited range of sports - she clearly knew nothing on many others.
-- Albert Einstein