Hi

Make your first post here!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

HowardQ
World Champion

#16 Post by HowardQ » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 pm

Welcome to the site. :smt006

Sounds like a nice collection there.
(it's always nice to have more than one bike.)
I might be a little biased, but tell us more about the Falco, what colour, year etc..
Any mods already done, any planned, as we would love to help you spend money on it.
Have you managed to get out on it much yet, what do you think of it so far?
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

blinkey501
World Champion

#17 Post by blinkey501 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:55 am

welcome to the jungle :smt006
Tolerance will be our undoing.

ROCKOZ
Despatch Rider

#18 Post by ROCKOZ » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 am

52' plate, pretty standard as far as I'm aware. It has 'diablo' silencers which I've never heard of...
It is the supposed dreaded yellow :O ;)

I've managed to do about 200 miles on it in under a week. Took it over to fox's diner (H-cafe) near Oxford on Sunday messing arounf pulling the front up at 50 ish in 2nd on the power loving it. Then half way home as you pulled back on the throttle the power seemed to cut...minutes later 'DIAG 1' appeared on the right hand display...great. Not really had a chance to fix it yet. Read that you can simply unplug the diagnostic wire to rid the diag 1 code but what actually is the fault?

I plan on semi-fightering it so to speak. In all honesty I wanted a tuono to start with. Well actually I didn't want an Aprillia I wanted the V990 Rotax engine and this seemed the cheapest rarest option!
I have just bought that Cnc yoke kit on ebay with the glassfibre cut down fairing. Not sure if I'll like the fairing the way he's already cut it but we'll see. Can always sell it on and look into different fronts although wanted to retain the 'falco'ness of the bike or there's no point owning one.

I plan on ripping the datatool alarm off this weekend, along with looking into de-restriction as I don't think it's been done... I'll then think of maybe a 'Gabro' chip after reading about it/him.....
I also plan on doing this 'wire mod' to improving the charging as had to buy a new battery already.....

Any ideas re. comfort? Improving the ride. Making it taller. And painting the new 'white' fairing as in reality I can't really afford to have it done properly........

Cheers

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#19 Post by D-Rider » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:58 am

Diag 1 is not a problem (though why the diagnostic connector is connected together ???)

Basically the Diag -1, 0, 1 displays are used for setting the throttle position sensor.
When setting it up you aim to get a Diag 0 but that is with everything adjusted to the positions you set things while adjusting/checking the TPS. With things set back to normal positions, it will probably not show 0 any longer - so don't worry about it - just pull the plug apart.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

ROCKOZ
Despatch Rider

#20 Post by ROCKOZ » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:16 am

Would it be worth downloading a manual a setting the TPS's back to 0 somehow or just as you say not worry and pull the plug? TBH I'm only assuming it's plugged in as not physically checked yet. Tonight I shall fiddle!

Thanks a lot
Just bought a Falco :)

HowardQ
World Champion

#21 Post by HowardQ » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:03 pm

Thought I'd let Andy come back on that one, he is the resident "Know it All".
In a nice way that is!
We sometimes take the piss, but he is an undending source of knowledge on all things Falco and always come in with a quick reply.

If you fit an RSV shock, (with the correct linkages), they have ride height adjustment at the bottom, so just screw out the bottom mounting point as required to increase ride height. They are also better built and have compression and rebound adjustment.

I am biased, but having done this, I would try the Falco as standard first off.
You can lift the standard clip ons over the top of the yokes for more comfort if you want without changing the fairing.
If not what you want, "fighter" it later.
Falcos do take a bit of time to re-aclimatise to, but seriously grow on you from then onwards.
Had mine nine years this summer and still love it to bits every time I ride it.
Good luck.
Last edited by HowardQ on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HowardQ

2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

ROCKOZ
Despatch Rider

#22 Post by ROCKOZ » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:13 pm

Fiddled with it this afternoon.
Ripped the bloody alarm off to start. Absolutely butchered it. Couldn't silence it so pulled the speaker out!
All soldered back up nice and neat.
I've also now seen that the 'wire' has already been cut! Damn, no more power...
Also I noticed the two bullet like connectors which I assume is the diagnostics wires which we're unplugged? Bit confused now...
I also checked the air filter which again has been derestricted! :/

Also I half fitted some R and G crash bungs which came with it.......

Tomorrow/Saturday to complete the charging mod, finish fitting the crash bungs and await the yoke conversion. I really want it as high as it can be!

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#23 Post by D-Rider » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Don't do the charging mod unless it really needs it - it's not something you should do unless things are particularly bad.
If your charging voltages are low, then first start by making sure all your contacts are clean.
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

ROCKOZ
Despatch Rider

#24 Post by ROCKOZ » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:55 am

Any imporvement is good though right?
I've got a new battery to go on tomorrow so seemed necessary to complete the mod....?

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#25 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:08 am

if you have a futura - DO IT

for falco's and milles - consensus for UK folk is no - not necessary UNLESS indicated - neither andy or myself have done it for example.... that probably gives an idication of our views

an optimate is a very good idea though

the folk over in USA swear by doing the wiring mod.....

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#26 Post by D-Rider » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:15 pm

ROCKOZ wrote:Any imporvement is good though right?
I've got a new battery to go on tomorrow so seemed necessary to complete the mod....?
Thing is doing it when not necessary is not an improvement - may give other problems.
Clean the contacts by all means
-- Albert Einstein

HowardQ
World Champion

#27 Post by HowardQ » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:22 pm

Just to add to this, mine has not been modded either and is fine.
HowardQ

2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

ROCKOZ
Despatch Rider

#28 Post by ROCKOZ » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Hmmm, maybe I'll try the new battery with no wire mod for a week. I don't think optimates are a good idea. I don't think bikes need alarms and without an alarm what else should be draining the battery? Nothing.......?

Tonyunn
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#29 Post by Tonyunn » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:23 pm

I'm doing the following tomorrow:

New plugs
clean starter moter terminals
Replace starter relay with 150Amp

This is because mine has a new battery but still sems to dip like a pig when starting, even fresh off the optimate.

I will let you know the results when I have finished.
Speed Blue SL 1000 Falco
Harley Davidson....the most efficient way to turn petrol into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower..

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#30 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:47 pm

Well, I don't have an alarm on my bike either.... But both the falcos I have are on optimates ....

In real terms our batteries are physically small and turning over two large cylinders takes a lot to turn over....

I would also tactfully point out the cost of an optimate as opposed to the cost of a sprag...

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...