Potential new falco owner

Make your first post here!

Moderators: Aladinsaneuk, MartDude, D-Rider, Moderators

wayno
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

Potential new falco owner

#1 Post by wayno » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:07 pm

I'm Wayne, I was pointed this direction by sfoley as I'm hoping to buy a Falco soon, I made a post asking about the streetfighter kit and was channeled to the bar (always a great place to be :smt001 )

I just sold my FZR600R (which will hopefully be replaced with the Falco soon), I also have Zephyr 550 which I've spent the last year putting a ninja 600 engine in, and ZXR400 fornt end) which will be my dicking round town bike :smt001

Image[/img]
Pass me a hammer, a spanner and a cuppa

BikerGran
Gran Turismo

#2 Post by BikerGran » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi Wayne - love the Zephyr!
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.

joecrx
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#3 Post by joecrx » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:16 pm

hi , if you get a falco , let it teach you how to ride , i tried to teach it but it always wins :smt003 lets just say its a big dog with a short leash, it does bit , but when it gets you into its way of thinking youl love it :smt003

wayno
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#4 Post by wayno » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:10 pm

I took my mates firestorm out this morning, it's like riding an inline 4 with the bottom 7000 rpm cut off. The reason I want one is that I can't be bothered to thrash a bike to get it going, so a twin suits me to the ground :smt001

I already love the look of the falco :smt007 just need to love owning one, which I should imagine will come as soon as I own one. Are they smoother than the firestorm? I heard they have a balancer shaft to smooth them out (I think the carburation one my mates firestorm was a tad out, it ran like a bag of shit, but I got the twin idea :smt001 )

HisNibbs
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#5 Post by HisNibbs » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:37 pm

Not ridden a Firestorm so I can't compare directly though having ridden with one, I think the Falco has the legs everywhere.

The Falco pulls like a train from 2,500 to 6 then goes balistic to about 10. Some times I might want for more mid range but then I'm too lazy to change down and run tall gearing.

And by the way you've been mixing and matching your Kwakasarkis your gona fit right in with the Falconeers.
Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can enjoy today

Aladinsaneuk
Aprilia Admin

#6 Post by Aladinsaneuk » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:46 pm

welcome

beer and shit loads of it

:)

do not think this is live yet but no worries

http://gallery.me.com/aladinsaneuk#100008

should be live in a bit - just a short falco blast where i was well behaved - so well behaved i have sped the video up in places to give the impression of doing silly and illegal speeds....

Let's face it, you wouldn't go to a nurse to get good advice on a problem with a Falco - you'd choose an Engineer or a mechanic...

rick
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#7 Post by rick » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Just do it!

I've always liked the look and idea of riding a Falco and only recently bought one... and I bloody love it!!
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop. Isle of Man TT Champion.

HowardQ
World Champion

#8 Post by HowardQ » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:02 pm

The Firestorm is a nice bike, but as others have said the Falco has the measure of it anywhere in the range, great low down and mid range, then screams out to over 10K.

One really good trick is to wind it on from between 3k to 4k in 4th and then just let it go all the way in the same gear if you have the room
Will never lose the thrill of this trick.
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

rick
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#9 Post by rick » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:15 pm

HowardQ wrote:One really good trick is to wind it on from between 3k to 4k in 4th and then just let it go all the way in the same gear if you have the room
Will never lose the thrill of this trick.
Ooohhh may try that tomorrow :smt035
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop. Isle of Man TT Champion.

HowardQ
World Champion

#10 Post by HowardQ » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:31 pm

You just get to enjoy all three facets of what the Falco motor is all about.
It pulls harder than most from between 3k and 4k, then the meaty mid range takes over then the top end.
Very different from when you ride something like an R6 where you are holding the revs in a band high up the range to really enjoy it, which is also fun and the Falco can do similar, but also does different tricks just for the hell of it.
:smt002 :smt004
HowardQ

Take a ride on the Dark Side :smt004 :smt096 :smt004

2001 Aprilia Falco in Black
2002 Kawasaki ZX9R F1P

D-Rider
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by D-Rider » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi wayne - welcome
wayno wrote: I already love the look of the falco :smt007 just need to love owning one, which I should imagine will come as soon as I own one. Are they smoother than the firestorm? I heard they have a balancer shaft to smooth them out
Nah sorry - they don't have a balance shaft ....................... they've got two ! (one in the crank case another in one of the heads)

Cant compare with the firestorm as I've never ridden one .... but for every test report I've read comparing the two, there has only been one clear winner
:smt002

Here's one I read earlier: http://www.martinpoll.dk/diverse/anmeldelse.pdf
“Scientists investigate that which already is. Engineers create that which has never been.”
-- Albert Einstein

Falken
SuperSport Racer
SuperSport Racer

#12 Post by Falken » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:36 am

:smt001
When I was looking to buy, I tried a Firestorm and a Falco.
No comparison in my view, on the Firestorm you seemed to be sitting on the bike, whereas with the Falco you became part of the bike and sat in it.
That was over 9 years since now and I still love this bike.
Adventure before Dementia.

wayno
SuperBike Racer
SuperBike Racer

#13 Post by wayno » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:56 am

HisNibbs wrote:And by the way you've been mixing and matching your Kwakasarkis your gona fit right in with the Falconeers.
Thanks, if you like what I did to the Zephyr with my mates help, you'll love what he's doing to an RS125 chassis and a pegaso 650 engine :smt003 Here's a link to his build forum http://www.tjtuning.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=10034

I can tell from what any Falco owner says that they soon become more of a love than a bike, it's not many bikes you hear such emotion about, I can't wait. My girlfriend may not be pleased about becoming second best, are the Falco's any good in bed? I could just do away with her altogether :smt003