Where old conversations come to die

Moderators: Kwackerz, Moderators

Bully
News Mod
News Mod

Action Tec Phone Wizard

Post by Bully » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:46 am

http://www.vosky.com/product.php?pid=7& ... 604e1e2e9d

Kinda like Skype.... uses Skype to connect and route the calls, but this puppy goes between your BB PC conection and you phone point, so you use your regular handest. I use my normal Philips cordless and it works prefectly.

So calls to Aus at €0.17 instead of £0.60 per minute......

Highly reccommended.

Bully

Gio
WSB rider
WSB rider

Post by Gio » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:13 pm

Who the hell wants to connect through Skype?

I chat to my relatives in Canada on MSN/Yahoo, costs nowt and its only marginaly worse than Skype.

BFG
Administrator
Administrator

Post by BFG » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:10 am

Skype is free.

It can also be used to call a conventional telephone, which is where the charge is made. I.e. the other person at the other end doesn't need to be on skype. And at either end you don't need a computer either.

There are many alternatives:
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/user/index.php

I'm waiting until number portability becomes possible.

Bully
News Mod
News Mod

Post by Bully » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:13 am

BFG has it right.

I use my regular handset, via Action Tec and Skype to dial any number, not just people I already have in my MSN list, and not ust while I'm sittng in front of my PC.

VOIP is the future. It really is. BT must be crapping themselves.

Bully

Kwackerz

Post by Kwackerz » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:27 am

7.4 No Emergency Services. You expressly agree and understand that the Skype Software is not intended to support or carry emergency calls to any type of hospital, law enforcement agency, medical care unit or any other kind of Emergency Service. Skype, its Affiliates or Skype Staff are in no way liable for such emergency calls.

7.4.2 No Compulsion to Offer Emergency Services. You recognize and agree that Skype is not required to offer Emergency Services pursuant to any applicable local and or national rules, regulation or law. You further recognize that Skype is not a replacement for Your primary telephone service.

Skype may be cheap, etc but you still have the requirement for a normal telephone! It cant dial Emergency services?

burty
Administrator
Administrator

Post by burty » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:22 am

Bully wrote:
VOIP is the future. It really is. BT must be crapping themselves.
I think crapping themselves is a bit extreme, but the sentiment is probably right up to a point. It's not that this is a surprise, it's been discussed for many years. BT are OK. No matter what method of encoding is used, there is always the need to connect one guy with another, and BT still own much of the network that achieves that, in the UK and internationally. The future is in volume of data, voice will just be a trivial part of that volume of data. We already get a lot of that almost free, probably we'll get more of it free in future, just so long as we buy other services.

Bully
News Mod
News Mod

Post by Bully » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:45 am

VOIP has the potential to completely shake up traditional telecomms.

It will come to the stage whereby BT, et al, will only be providing the local loop and connecting local calls.

Now, after decades of massive profits from long distance and international calls - in addition to the minimal local call profits - I'd say their business model must be about to change.

And to change, very, very, dramatically.

When I said, crapping themselves, ok, perhaps I do exaggerate. After all, seeing new technology comng along that will all but wipe out your profits from two key sectors (from your 4 primary sectors; local, BB, long distance, overseas) and having OfCom opening up the local loop even further, then obviously I was wrong to say crapping themselves.

Maybe, very slightly concerned, might be closer :-)

And as for carrying data, yes, you are absolutely correct, hence the new 8MB offerings, to stream tv and VOD. Which is fine, if you live within the 4k's or whatever it is from your exchange, and there's lots of us who don't :-(

Also... reading the manual for my phone, (I know, not a very blokey thing to do) I see that VOIP is now available on 3G mobiles in some American cities. Now as someone who travels a lot, and uses mobile comms a lot, or int and long distance thats something I'm looking forward to.

Bully

oma
WSB rider
WSB rider

Post by oma » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:19 am

It will come to the stage whereby BT, et al, will only be providing the local loop and connecting local calls.
That would be true if BT were not themselves a big player in VOIP. With a link up wityh Yahoo along with Verizon, in the US, and other telcos around the world gives BT a very large slice of the new telecomms pie.

BT, in the UK, are also rolling out newer technologies for data transmissions (21C is being trialled ATM) with their historical stranglehold on the UK telcos this should see them catch and pass the offerings of Skype/Vonage plus give them the infrastructure to deliver other IP offerings.
Video (dont even try with 8Mb...) Remote working, cheaper WAN and fully integrated PDA wireless (wi-fi Wi-Max) and fixed data comms.

BT are going to a have a tougher time but I doubt if they are crapping themselves.
The digital infrastructure in the UK is poor compared to the broadband offerings in the far east ( 100mb to the home anyone?). The only UK company likely to change this is BT. Thier shares wont be worthless for many a year.